Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
If you buy the SIM free unlocked version, how can you make sure it's correct and that some apple employee at the store didn't make a mistake and accidentally grab an AT&T version? :confused:

Sure you could say, "well duh, it doesn't come with a SIM card"... but do the carrier models actually come with a SIM card pre-installed in the phone? I didn't think they did which is why I made this thread.

Yes, I figure they are technically the same phone physically, but the AT&T is locked.

No, I don't have a SIM card / data plan from another carrier to put in the phone and check.

Any way to know it's the correct version for sure (SIM free / unlocked) and not a carrier version that a store employee grabbed by mistake?

Thanks for your help :)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If you buy an AT&T model full price it is also unlocked but just comes with a SIM card. So even if they got one out of a different stack it would be unlocked. If the SIM cards aren't in the box (I'm not sure if they are or not) then most likely they all are unlocked and come off of the same pile and get locked or not to a carrier based on if you buy it with a payment plan or not.

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
The sim-free model comes with a sim ejector tool, while the carrier models do not.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
Of course I do. It's just ridiculous that someone sat down and made the decision that only someone who purchases an unlocked phone should require to ever take the sim card out.

Well it comes from the fact that most people buy a carrier iPhone and activate in store. There is no need to eject the SIM card. If you desperatley need one all you need to do is ask an employee and they'll give you one.
The cost saved over millions of iPhones is probably substantial Apple is a business you know.

Reactions: dave006

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
The sim-free model comes with a sim ejector tool, while the carrier models do not.
Sim ejector tool ... wow. sounds like something from the future.
[doublepost=1459444556][/doublepost]
Well it comes from the fact that most people buy a carrier iPhone and activate in store. There is no need to eject the SIM card. If you desperatley need one all you need to do is ask an employee and they'll give you one.
The cost saved over millions of iPhones is probably substantial Apple is a business you know.

they couls save even more by telling everyone who needs to pop the sim out to just use a paper clip. Everyone has paper clips lying around the office or home.

BentTable123

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2015
The easiest way to tell is to open up Safari and look in the bookmarks or favorites. AT&T versions come with a bookmark for at&t my account or something similar.

Sim ejector tool ... wow. sounds like something from the future.
[doublepost=1459444556][/doublepost]

they couls save even more by telling everyone who needs to pop the sim out to just use a paper clip. Everyone has paper clips lying around the office or home.

4ndr3w

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Chicago
If they have you agree to any carrier agreements (even if you pay retail price) after they scan the various barcodes they didn't get you an unlocked one...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Akt of suggestions that probably work just fine, but I think people are trying to complicate things a bit.

AFAIK there is no immediate good way to tell what you have when looking at the box. If opened, there is the telltale sim ejector tool for sim free. You will also lack a sim in the sin tray. ATT versions come with an ATT sim pre installed.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
If you buy the SIM free unlocked version, how can you make sure it's correct and that some apple employee at the store didn't make a mistake and accidentally grab an AT&T version? :confused:

<clipped extra stuff...>

Any way to know it's the correct version for sure (SIM free / unlocked) and not a carrier version that a store employee grabbed by mistake?

Thanks for your help :)
Well it is easy, just check the Item number from the bottom of the box against the Part Number from the Apple.com online store. For example: iPhone SE 64 GB Space Gray SIM-Free is Part number: MLMD2LL/A. If this is the Item number on the bottom of the box, then you have an iPhone SE 64 GB Space Gray SIM-Free.

How do you get the Part Number from the Apple.com store: Go through the order steps, choosing the color/storage combination you want and put it into your "bag" and then you will see the part number that you need to match in the brick and mortar Apple store. :cool:

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.