If I cancel my AT&T Service, can I still use Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dog352, Jul 1, 2007.

1. dog352 macrumors member

I want to just be able to use it as a photo/video/music player. I have already activated it. Would I be able to still use this if I cancelled my account?

2. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling the answer is no since you can't even access those features without creating an account first.

3. ladeer macrumors 6502

I just tried it, I removed SIM card and everything except phone works. I can even watch YouTube and browser Wifi

4. iwork4ispot macrumors member

there is a work around to make the iPhone work without a SIM. This includes the following

-IPOD
    -VIDEO/AUDIO
    -WiFi
    -Safari
    -All other features. EXCEPT SMS and PHONE of course
    Email: not sure might work via WiFI (not 100%)

the work around is in the WILD right now. Go find it.

5. ladeer macrumors 6502

walkaround? I can do them just by removing my sim card! Of course iPhone SHOULD be able to do that, because what if we upgrade our phones? What if I want to buy a new ATT phone TOMORROW? why can't I use my iPhone still as an iPod? Of course I should be able to, right? Yes, and indeed I can, cuz I just tested it without a SIM CARD.

The real walkaround should be for phones that HAVE NOT been activated.

6. iwork4ispot macrumors member

Workaround is actually based on "NON-ACTIVATED" iPhones and "ACTIVATED" iPhones.

:)

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

What is the policy on cancellations with the iPhone?
    I know with other ATT phones as a new customer you have 30 days to cancel without a penalty. After that you would incur an ETF.

8. iprincess macrumors member

but can you sync your music/photos/movies/bookmarks, etc through itunes without a sim?
    i'm sure there are many people that would happily pay activation and cancellation to be able to use the iphone without a sim or service.

9. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Per the AT&T terms of service, if you cancel within 30 days (i.e. without a penalty) you are required to return the phone for a refund. You can't keep phones bought on contract without paying an ETF.

10. iprincess macrumors member

i doubt that. you can buy the phone from the apple store and never activate it. what you are quoting is in reference to subsidized phones.

11. hkbeejay macrumors newbie

Can someone point me to the way to workaround an UNactivated iPhone please? Thank you.