If I could get some opinions about Old vs. New...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mike-intosh, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Mike-intosh macrumors newbie

Really, the only thing holding me back from the new MBP is the $525 difference (after edu discount and taxes, etc.).

But I have been reading a lot and it seems like the older MBPs tend to fail; It seems that this is because of the 8600GT

Well I'm not going to be gaming much at all, but I do not want to risk the computer shorting out or any major problems with the GPU if I buy the older version. (just look at a couple of recent threads in here for examples of MBP dying...)

Will the extra $525 be worth it to jump to the new Pro-at least from a "stability" or "reliability" standpoint? Glossy doesn't bother me, and like I said, I won't be gaming much, just Word and Photoshop.

Thank you very much in advance!:D

2. bimmer macrumors newbie

I have just placed an order for the "old" version. I have never used a mac and had waited for 6 months for the new to come out but at the end I was dissapointed and to me the new is not worth $1999 because it is just an upgrade. I saved myself $600 and I realize that the older model has GPU issues but Apple will replace it for free within 2 years of purchase. If you still are not sure, you can always purchase Apple Care for three years.

The older version is a great machine, the majority of folks on this forum will confirm that.

Good Luck.

3. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I was in the same situation except I need the machine for light video editing rather than Photoshop. I do not feel it's worth the gamble to buy one of the last models with the 8600 curse. Failures are found on machines where the person never gamed.

I can't see throwing this kind of money after a gamble. I also feel it has little resale value after 2 years (the period that Apple will replace the faulty gpu).

I hate glossy. But I'm going to look at the machine in person to decide if I can live with it so I can stay with Mac (and FCP). If I wasn't editing, I would jump to the new thin light vaio with blu-ray burner. But I don't want to learn a new editing system and fcp is the standard in the indie world.

Read my recent post in the thread about the 8600 problem (last page) and read those links for yourself if you haven't yet. Apple is being very vague about which machines have the chip and it's been discussed that "early 08" really went to Sept.

4. Mike-intosh thread starter macrumors newbie

5. shoppy macrumors 6502a

bushbaby

How many posts are you going to make reference the same point? For petes sake pretty much every post I have in the last few minutes you have posted about the graphic issue. Get over it enjoy your new MBP.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you search the forums, you'll find dozens of threads about the old vs new MBP, with hundreds of opinions.