If I delete a new user login, will it delete data on admin?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mileslong, Jun 26, 2009.

1. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

I was running my iMac just in admin, which I know is frowned upon but that's the way I had it. I had a corrupt preferences file and I couldn't save any of my passwords etc Finally created a new user and reinstalled everything and it works fine. Had to replace all my passwords for my apps etc but other than that not that big a deal.

Question is can I now delete the other user now that I have a new admin login?:

It is just taking up storage space with a user which is corrupted but I don't want to erase the data in that user and also delete all my data in the new user as well.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Deleting a user will delete everything in that user's folder (home directory) e.g., /Users/oldAdmin/ will go poof. Everything else should fine as long as you don't need anything from the user's home directory.

3. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

thanks angel, i will cautiously get rid of that user. now i have to do something with time machine as everything is saved under the other user and i can't backup my new user because it would take up too much space...:confused: