If I delete a User Account, does that delete his library?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrsundaynight, Jul 12, 2009.

1. mrsundaynight macrumors newbie

I never use "User Accounts" on my MacBook. So I don't know much about them.

If I delete one User Account, will it delete that user's libraries, such as their music, movies, documents, etc?

Also, will it delete the programs that were installed under that user's account, but are accessible by all users?

Thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. mrsundaynight thread starter macrumors newbie

4. harcosparky macrumors 68020

That page shows HOW to Delete a User Account but it didn't really answer the question as to what happens to the Deleted Users Files.

As to Programs a user may have installed....
    I believe that a User has to have " Adminstrator " status to install Programs and they do remain installed.

I wanted to clean up an older computer and rename it to remove my own information.

This is what I did ....

1) Created a NEW USER who could " Administer" the computer.
    2) Logged in under NEW USER account.
    3) Deleted OLD USER 1 Account ( previous ADMIN )
    4) Deleted OLD USER 2 Account ( previous USER )

The left me with only one account, that being NEW USER (ADMIN)

All programs that were installed by OLD USER 1 still remained on the system.

All folders ( Documnents, Music, Photos ) associated with OLD USER 1, and OLD USER 2 vanished. But did the files really disappear????? I suspect they are still on the drive and until they are overwritten by new files/folders there may be a way to get at them.

EDIT: The above was performed on two G4 Powermacs - one running OSX 10.4 Tiger and one running 10.5 Leopard though the computer is irrelevant in reality.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes of course if you deleted the /Users/<username> folder All of the old users files and folders are gone. As you noticed the programs still exist because the default location for them are /Applications. Also if you're not 100% sure do a search and you'll see they're gone.