If I didn't have an iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Mar 13, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I wouldn't be obsessed with the iPhone and I wouldn't need an iPhone to surf sites about the iPhone or use my RSS reader to keep up on the latest iPhone news or talk about the iPhone. Since I have an iPhone, I swear I only use it for iPhone related stuff... it kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

I need to find other things to do with my time, but then I wouldn't be getting my moneys worth out of my iPhone. Then, I'd just be paying $100 a month for a piece of plastic and glass.

I forgot to mention that I have an IRC app on my iPhone and I only have it set up to connect to iPhone related channels.

aannd... and.. and, that's what that's all about!

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

make some Real World friends, then you can use it to talk to them.

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have real world friends... they all have iPhones too! They just fuel me even more!

4. jlwillia macrumors regular

I agree. Also, during social events, you can use Safari to look up scores for the games, recipes for drinks, take pictures of your friends for the memories of the great times you are having.

This isn't necessarily directed at the OP, but having an iPhone would be kind of lame if you didn't get out of the house much. I mean the benefit of the iPhone is the ability to be able to do the things you love to do and STILL have access to the internet and all the great apps.

Also, even though most people who own an iPhone will probably deny it, part of what you pay for is the "coolness" factor of the iPhone. It kind of defeats that purpose if someone spends all their free time in their parents' basement.

Again, this isn't directed at the OP. I took his scenario and exaggerated it greatly, but you get the idea.

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm still trying to figure out why I pay for this thing? As if I can't wait until I get home to check something on the internet?

I've been thinking about ditching my iPhone 3G and going back to my first gen iPhone unlocked with a go-phone plan or something. All I need is an iPod touch with the ability to text and make phone calls. I don't think I really need the internet everywhere.... $100 a month for that is kind of ridiculous!

6. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

$100?!

To think I had to consider long and hard before I bumped my o2 sim only deal from £15 to £20 to get internet :rolleyes:

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Minimum Phone plan = $40
    Required Data plan = $30
    Unlimited Texting = $20
    Taxes, State and Goverment fees = about $10

I need unlimited texting... I text way too much.

8. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

so what are you recommendations about getting an iPhone?
    i am a college student, who was planning on getting one in the summer, once the new version comes out. Right now, I'm on tmobile, but my contract is over at the end of this month, so I have the liberty of switching to any carrier I please.
    I think that being in school, I would be hard pressed to find several legitimate reasons to pay $100 for a phone bill every month.
    your thoughts?

9. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

I love having one because of the Email integration, being able to open pages and keynote items that are emailed to me. Also I use a program called iTalk to record lectures and then sync it at home to my Mac so that I have categorized and labeled lectures I can refer to at anytime.

Safari is hard to beat, except maybe on the new Palm Pre, so it is easy to access the Universities website for calenders and grade updates etc...

Also the calender for the iPhone is awesome. I can update a calender in class and it will automatically sync over Mobile Me to my mac at home so that I don't miss project due dates etc..

The honest answer is that you can easily survive college without an iPhone but who would want to?! :apple:

10. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I suggest buying a used first gen iPhone, unlocking it and use whatever plan that fits your budget. Then you'll have the best of both worlds... a semi-smart phone and the worlds best touch interface.

11. St0rMl0rD macrumors 6502

I was obsessed with the iPhone before I even lay my hands on one. I had my previous phone (HP iPad RW6815) skinned into iPhone, just to get some of that feeling. Now that I have an iPhone, I am more obsessed with it than ever. And I love it, and it gives that love back to me. ;)

-J

12. sparkyms macrumors 65816

You seriously need to stop thinking solely about your iPhone, I swear every day you post something about thinking about your iPhone.

iPhone.