If I do a fresh OS X install for Mountain Lion, can I keep my current Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by oxfordguy, Jul 13, 2012.

1. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

If I do a fresh OS X install for Mountain Lion when it comes out (which I would prefer to do), can I keep my current Windows 7 Bootcamp partition and have it recognised by Mountain Lion? I had a world of pain getting Windows 7 to install on my mid-2012 Macbook Air (am still not sure its quite right, though, due to long boot times) and don't want to have to go through all that again...

2. mabaty macrumors member

Mountain lion should not affect it, it's on a different partition. The two are not necessarily tied to each other.

3. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sure, but will Mountain Lion be aware of the partition, if I do a fresh install of it, and will I be able able to select my current Bootcamp partition as a StartUp Disk in the Mac OS X preferences etc.? Thanks

4. mabaty macrumors member

Yes, startup selection is tied to the firmware not mountain lion. Bootcamp makes the NTFS partition easy to create, plus drivers, that's about it. It is not an app that runs VMware -- dependent on the host OS. With that said you should still back everything up prior to upgrading.

5. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Easy? Not for me, it didn't...

Okay, thanks