If I don't game, does the graphics card really matter?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Whackintosh, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

I ask because I'm debating on whether or not to spend the extra coin to get the 2.9ghz machine with the GT 650M instead of the 2.7 one with the GT 640m. I know the CPU speed difference won't really be noticeable for the most part, so the real question is whether or not I'd benefit at all from the better GPU.

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

That depends on what you will be doing with the machine. So if you could tell us what, we can help.

In most cases, no, the GPU wont matter, as majority of the people just do basic things on their mac.

3. leman macrumors 604

There are some professional applications which can utilise GPU to speed up certain computations. If you professionally edit photos or videos, chances are your software offers such acceleration. I haven't seen any benchmarks though, so I can't comment on the performance (although, if implemented properly the speedup should be rather dramatic for certain operations).

4. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd be using my system mostly for writing / browsing / video streaming but would also be doing some degree of video and photo editing work.

5. macthefork macrumors 6502

My wife's six year old Mac Pro has the original base model GPU in it. When it was new, it was perfectly adequate for all her needs. But now, running an HD youtube video full screen, or watching a movie on Amazon Prime causes it to stutter and choke.

The base iMac GPU would probably be fine for you now... but, how long do you plan on keeping your iMac? Five years from now, it may not be adequate.

For this reason, when she upgrades to the new iMac in a few months, it will have the top GPU.

6. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I always go by the "When in Doubt" rule. Can't go wrong.

7. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

yup ! when in doubt , dough it out !