If I don't like the glossy screen can I return it for the matte?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thornton93, Apr 20, 2009.

1. thornton93 macrumors newbie

Soon in the future I will be buy a 2.93GHz MBP. And im not sure what kinda screen I want.

There is no Apple Store located in my area so I will be having to buy it online.

If i get the glossy finish and deside in a few days after i bought it i disliked the glossy screen. Could i send it back and pay 50$ more for a matte screen?

Thanks for your help. :)

2. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i don't think so. I believe the BTO are non-returnable

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Do you have a best buy? They have Apple products.

In general I've had glossy forever and I've never had a complaint unless your computing in the park all day with the sun directly behind you, but even with a matte you wouldn't be able to see :)

4. Aboo macrumors 6502a

If thats the case, you are probably better off buying the stock 2.66 17" uMBP glossy and then returning that for a 2.93 Ghz 17" matte. You should be prepared to pay a restocking fee of 10% though. I know you mention that the Apple store is not in your vicinity, but considering that you may have to fork over more than 250$ in restocking fees, you might want to take the trip to an Apple Store if it is within a 100-125 mi radius of you.

5. Anton-Anton macrumors newbie

Go with the non-glossy from start. Then theres no need for change.

6. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

Unrelated, but Thornton, did you attend good ole Thornton back in the day?

7. thornton93 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Yes you can return BTO, I have just returned my 17" BTO for faults.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Returning for defects is completely different from returning because you change your mind or don't like what you bought.

10. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Let's not start this. Opinion is the keyword in your post. (See it, sqqquueeeezzzeeedd in between there?)

Doesn't he get the 14 day grace period and then just has to pay restocking? Or is that excluding BTO, I really don't feel like reading the agreement.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't see the word "opinion" in the post you referenced.
    Reading the agreement will prevent uninformed posts:

12. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Fair one and well pointed out.

13. macjay macrumors 6502

Good advice. Unless you're sure that you'd like a glossy screen, I'd go with matte.

14. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Way to sound smart and jump on my back there. Can people take a joke on an online forum anymore? I just didn't want a glossy vs. matte thread to rear it's ugly head once again. And now the fact that I am posted back at this because I feel you busted my online machismo defeats my own purpose. It was one part sarcasm about the "opinion" thing. And I clearly stated I was not going to read the agreement in my post.

So OP, in a nutshell, if there's ANY WAY (I know you stated one was not close,) head to an Apple Store and check them out for yourself. Or you could also go to a general electronics store (Best Buy etc.) and check out PCs in both matte and glossy. (Although you may not find something AS GLOSSY as the MBP). Either way you'll have a beautiful new machine that will bring you years of happy computing.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No one was "jumping on your back". You said "Opinion is the keyword in your post." I simply said I didn't see the word. The rest of my post was an answer to your question, "Doesn't he get the 14 day grace period and then just has to pay restocking? Or is that excluding BTO..."

16. MBAir macrumors member

I'm in the very same position, created a thread like 2 weeks ago asking for opinions, and it was 50-50. (you can search for it).

It's not possible for me to see either one in person as well.

Just found this pic posted in the Photos forum here on MR. It might make you buy the matte, I think I;m sold. The matte MBP looks gorgeous!

Haven't ordered yet, but so damn close.

HTH.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

17. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

It is pretty yes but they don't make it in 15 inch and cannot swap the keyboard for the old one

18. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Go to a store and look at another vendors glossy laptop. The screen quality, reflections, etc should be the same as Apple's product. I've been going back and forth on this too and still can't make up my mind. I've always owned matte, I don't like the reflections in glossy, but the glossy screen is so bright and images appear sharper to me... but then there are those darn reflections.

19. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I did not know that the EU conditions are better than US ones for on-line purchases. Here in the EU, you can return whatever you bought on-line (even BTO machines) within 10 working days (that's the law, many sellers say 14 days). You don't need to specify a reason and you cannot be charged: you just send it back. There's an European law about this.

Anyway, if you buy in a shop (not on-line), you cannot return the item, even if you are willing to pay a restocking fee. Few shops - but very very few, however, allow you to return the item within a week or two without applying a restocking fee. There are no laws - at least in Italy- so the sellers do what they prefer.

thistle

20. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

They don't just appear sharper, they _are_ sharper. There is no diffusion in the texture like with the matte.

As far as reflections, it is easier to turn a glossy screen so that reflections don't bother you than it is to prevent a matte screen to completely wash out the colors. Also, unless you focus on the reflection, it is very hard to see the reflection. It is like looking into a mirror, but focussing on a dirty spot on the mirror surface. You won't see your image in the mirror until you refocus to your reflection.

Needless to say, I prefer glossy over matte any day of the week.

21. VTPete macrumors member

Last weekend I was at the apple store and had a 17inch glossy side by side with the Matte. I started playing a high def video on both at the same time.

A large crowd gathered. A big crowd. It was like no one have ever done that before.

The general consensus was that while the glossy had more initial punch, the matte finish was much more enjoyable to watch. I ended up buying the matte as I was in the crowd that thought the glossy's reflections were just too distracting.

It's certainly a matter of taste, so if possible, put two side by side and decide for yourself. They make so many glossy screens for a reason... people like them and for good reason. I happen to not like them, which is why I buy anti-glare TVs, computers, etc. etc.

22. clownjuggles macrumors member

Get the glossy, if you don't like it call tech restore and have them put on a matte screen that looks like the glossy frame best of both worlds as it is always easier to go matte than to convert to glossy

23. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

I am right there with you - I have a matte display on my current laptop, bought a matte lcd for the exact same reason - I just dont like the glass. Although I have spend some time on the new UMBP's and the glossy doesnt bother me too much but I would still prefer matte, I just like it more.

24. MBAir macrumors member

Why would you want to change the keyboard? When the MBA was announced nobody complained about the looks, well, until the black bezel showed up.

I really like the look of the Air, and the 17" looks pretty much the same.