If I don't preorder when will they likely be available?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bwphoto, Oct 6, 2011.

1. bwphoto macrumors member

I'm on the fence over this update. My 3GS is beat up but still working alright. Anyone notice how long it typically takes after a launch to get them in regular stock? Will I be stuck waiting until Xmas or just a few weeks? Thanks-

2. ethana macrumors 6502a

You might want to buy quickly. I know a lot of people are saying it will be a "flop" but I don't think so. The 4S may sell quicker than any iPhone yet.

3. andyx3x macrumors 65816

If you don't preorder or get in line and wait early on launch day, it might be a month or two.

The stores will get some phones in most days but you typically have to get there and wait in a line each day. It typically takes a few months to just be able to just walk into a store and get one easily.

4. Kflik, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

Kflik macrumors member

Regular AT&T, SPRINT, VERIZON, and APPLE stores will have physical stock, I suggest going early in the morning next Friday on the 14th! (thanks rick!)

5. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

pfftt, you will be able to get one soon after the launch. This isnt going to be a typical wave of buyers. Some are already saying they are going to Android. Even when iP4 was launched you could get them soon afterwards. This one shouldnt be a problem at all. Id think same day after the line goes down you can get one.

6. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

14th?

7. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Yea hopefully "Fastest rollout ever" means there will be a bunch in stock.

8. aztooh macrumors 6502a

During the keynote, they said this would be the "fastest iphone rollout yet".

It's almost the same exact phone that's been out for 1.5 yrs, no real change in the production process....quantities should be available.

9. bwphoto thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all. I think I'll preorder, see how iOS5 does on the ol' reliable and if it's a total dog, keep the upgrade. Otherwise I'm sure my local store would love to have one more 4S on hand to sell and I'll just get a refund. I was about to pony up $350 for a point and shoot anyway but at this point there's almost no reason to get one (even as capable as Canon's S95). Thanks again - happy shopping tonight everyone!

----------

I thought "fastest rollout" referenced how quickly it was being sent internationally.

10. drewv macrumors newbie

If I wait a couple of days to preorder, will that keep me from getting the phone on the 14th?

11. jshbckr macrumors 6502

I think you guys took "faster rollout yet" the wrong way. I believe they said that when talking about how many countries and carriers they'd be hitting by the end of the year. In previous years, it took a long, long time to get iPhones to other countries.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

do people seriously think a bunch of random geeks on a forum can possibly answer these questions with any semblance of accuracy?

13. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

agreed

14. 314631 macrumors 6502a

Yes.

15. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Just look at this way. Every year that the iPhone has been released it has taken a few months before you can just walk in and pick one up.

I expect it to be the same this year but I could be wrong. I doubt it, but maybe.

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

That could be applied to most questions here.

The speculation and/or rumors are what attracts me to here as much as anything

17. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

All I know is I am going to pre-order in about 1 hour and 40 minutes from now to insure I get my 2 iPhones. One for me and one for my wife. :D

18. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

iOS 5 works great on the iPhone 4 - not slow at all. If you don't care about Siri, you will only love your iPhone 4 more after the upgrade.

19. 314631 macrumors 6502a

If you don't pre-order today, I'm certain you won't get one of these amazing new iPhones before Christmas. Demand is going to be massive around the world for this best ever iPhone with incredible A5 processing performance.

20. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

I was paranoid about this last year, but when the iPhone 4 came out last year, I managed to get an iPhone on release day at Walmart. If you just call often and get as much info as possible, Walmart will probably work.

I'd preorder tonight, but I can't, due to a past-due payment I won't have until this weekend.

21. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Compared to the iPhone 4 I think demand this year will be a little lower and stock will be a little higher too due to the time of year it's being released. :)

22. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Now if your internet service went down tonight just before Midnight on PST wouldn't that just break someone's spirit for sure. I sincerely hope that does not happen especially to me. :D

23. ApplesNBananays macrumors newbie

Thats what im thinking they meant by fastest rollout. Those of you saying/thinking it means quantity out, you gotta remember the laws of supply and demand. You gotta make the consumer CRAVE! lol