Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I went that route because I would hate to be stuck at home waiting for the UPS guy to show up. I would constantly be checking outside every time I hear a truck engine.

Plus, sometimes you meet some pretty cool people while standing in line. Everyone standing in line for an iPhone on day 1 has something in common, so there are always good conversations.

There is a real easy solution to that problem. It is get a dog that will bark when someone comes to a door. That way you can just wait for the dog to start its barking. Heck here at my house we forgot a long time ago what the door bell even sounds like.
I personally am dreading on both the pre orders and on activation day the people complaining about the hours appon hours waiting for it to work.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
I went that route because I would hate to be stuck at home waiting for the UPS guy to show up. I would constantly be checking outside every time I hear a truck engine.

Plus, sometimes you meet some pretty cool people while standing in line. Everyone standing in line for an iPhone on day 1 has something in common, so there are always good conversations.

Only way I would ever camp out in front of the store as an "event" was if I had already pre-ordered to be picked up in store as a guarantee AND if 3-4 of my friends wanted to kind of do the beach/bonfire type of get together in front of the store and even then I would still be hesitant :eek:

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Does anyone know if you'll be able to but these unlocked/contract free from Verizon or Apple day one?

We don't really know for sure since Apple only started offering factory unlocked iPhones this year (in the US. I'm not sure about other parts of the world). The general assumption is that the unlocked units will be available on launch day as well, but Apple may choose to wait on that if they feel like it.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
We don't really know for sure since Apple only started offering factory unlocked iPhones this year (in the US. I'm not sure about other parts of the world). The general assumption is that the unlocked units will be available on launch day as well, but Apple may choose to wait on that if they feel like it.

Damn! Thanks for replying. I guess I might have to do what I did when I got my 3GS from ATT. I signed for a new contract then cancelled and paid the ETF.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010

Since they know there will be huge demand on day 1 I would not be surprised if day 1 is only locked phones and the unlocked phones only come out when demand slows down some. Just a guess though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.