if i erase and reinstall...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by juanster, May 1, 2007.

1. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

here is teh deal, i do not want to do this but i just don t see another way around it, i ve only had my mac for a month or so, i ran xslimmer and reduced all my apps just to save like what 2 gigs of hard drive..now i can t do any software upgrades....i ve tried asking in here many times and Mad Jew tried heling me (thx a lot fo rtha really appreciated) but i still can t figure it out...same way since i just got it, there isn t that many things that i ll have to re-configure. so if i reinstall will the mac os x disc come will all the apps i had it when i just got it, garage band and all of those things? i Life?

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

Prolly deleted much too much (like, say, PPC parts of universal binaries on an Intel mac? :p )

It'll come with all the apps it originally came with. Anything you installed after that needs to be redownloaded and reinstalled.

3. juanster thread starter macrumors 68020

juanster

okay great that's what i thought i just didn't want to mess it up... i ll let you know how it went in 30 hour or so... i already backed everything up i was just waiting for someone to let me make sure it was :D all good....

4. Craig Christ macrumors member

I dont think you have to erase everything, just reinstall the OS and delete the previous system folder. But if you're pressed for space in the first place, installing a duplicate might not be an option.

5. juanster thread starter macrumors 68020

juanster

i wasn t pressed for space, but ijust rely wanted to start from scratch...:D

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

I think the major problem with the OP was that entire architectures were removed from a lot of programs to save space. Not really recommended, cause while this may work with a few programs to save a trivial amount of space, it may also remove important parts of programs. Hence the blacklist in Xslimmer. Which isn't all-encompassing nor always up-to-date.

Easier to reinstall from scratch than to deal with issues from deleting all the architectures that shouldnt've been deleted.