If I get a Mac Pro now...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by The Shape, Dec 19, 2007.

1. The Shape macrumors newbie

The Shape

...will I be able to upgrade most of the components that would make waiting for the new mac pros prudent?

I know this is a question that leaves a lot to speculation, but I'm in one of those situations where I need to buy a new computer for my business two weeks ago. I really wish I could wait but I have projects that need done between now and then, so, for example, will I likely be able to upgrade the graphics card when they actually get some that aren't so far behind? or is there something they could do that would prevent new cards from working in the current machines? Aside from GPU's, what features are likely to be added that the average consumer couldn't upgrade the current Mac Pro to sport? I'm basically just looking for a list of what the more computer savy individuals on here feel will definitely be incorporated into the new Mac Pro, and what of those those theoretical upgrades could or could not be retrofitted into a current MP.

If this is the kind of thread that makes the regulars on here cringe, please lock or delete it :eek: I'm a noob to this forum, and I don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

Otherwise, thank you very much for whatever help and/or peace of mind you can give me.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Next batch is a new chipset in addition to the new CPUs and GPUs.

---

But if you need the machine for work, you should be able to update the GPU.

Though I don't know much about PCIe gen 2 video cards in the older slots.

---

Should still be a good work machine, even if it is a little behind the curve -- since you can always toss more RAM at a problem on the Mac Pro. Something that cannot be said of the notebooks and the iMac.

3. The Shape thread starter macrumors newbie

The Shape

Thanks, Sun. I took what you said and looked around Wikipedia. According to them:

"
    PCIe 2.0 is completely backward compatible with PCIe v1.x, so graphic cards and motherboards designed for v2.0 will be able to work with v1.0 and vice versa.[5] According to Anandtech:

The transition to PCIe 2.0 won't be anything like the move from AGP to PCIe. The cards and motherboards are backwards and forwards compatible. PCIe 1.0 and 1.1 compliant cards can be plugged into a PCIe 2.0 motherboard, and PCIe 2.0 cards can be plugged into older motherboards. This leaves us with zero impact on the consumer due to PCIe 2.0, in more ways than one.

"
    Does anyone know if this mean that if you were to plug a new card designed for 2.0 speeds into a current PCI Express board, would you be bottlenecked at 1.whatever speeds?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked