Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jesusplay, Apr 6, 2008.
like trojan horses and viruses and spy ware on windows vista....
will it effect mac os X?
Be wise, be safe.
Almost certainly not, but it isn't guaranteed.
malware, trojan, viruses are somewhat different..
Remember CIH? That would kill everything. But really really rare. even for windows.
When i get a malware.. there, fixed that for you. welcome to windows.
This is because the purpose of MALWARE (at least, Windows malware) Is NO LONGER to destroy data, but to STEAL it. Maybe in the 90's, but not now. Too many are able to make beau-coupe bucks off our data and machines to destroy them.
Malware writers DON'T WANT to disable your machine.!!!
If they did that, that machine would NO LONGER be able to serve as a zombie relay in their malware distribution networks.
It is in their BEST interests to maintain a USEABLE machine.
Donald L McDaniel
While it shouldn't affect your Mac partitions, it WILL allow them to USE your Mac as a zombie relay when in Windows IF you FAIL to install GOOD QUALITY Windows Anti-Malware software (i.e., Use the Windows Firewall, and additionally, install an Anti-virus product such as Eset's NOD32 AV, making sure to KEEP IT UPDATED DAILY (or even hourly, as Eset's products do).
Additionally, if you use a Browser of any kind under Windows, MAKE SURE it is able to stop Popups and let you know if you've come to a known "phishing" site.
And to top it off, MAKE SURE you do NOT fail to use discretion when opening unsolicited e-mail under Windows. That is, NEVER click on links in unsolicited e-mail, no matter WHO it comes from. Also don't OPEN such email, either. This is the NUMBER ONE way malware is delivered to unsuspecting Windows users. ALWAYS use good-qualtity spam filters. The best AV software will enable users to keep such spam out of their inbox to a great degree.
Learn to recognize the signs of such malware e-mails.
1) "Unusual" strings of ASCII (or non-ASCII) characters in e-mail.
2) Copy which uses nonsensical language, or semi-nonsensical language.
3) Copy written in non-Standard English or languages which are not standard for your locale.
4) E-mail which contains attachments of ANY kind, especially executable attachments. FIND ANOTHER WAY to send executable files to your friends and associates. Attaching them to email is a GOOD way to KEEP your friends from ever SEEING them, if he/she has a good spam filter installed.
5) E-mail purporting to come from Microsoft which includes direct links to updates. Microsoft does NOT attach such executables to ANY of their official e-mail. Microsoft NEVER delivers updates or upgrades via email, PERIOD, so RESOLVE NEVER to click on such links in e-mail purporting to come from "official Microsoft Sources". PERIOD!!! JUST DON'T CLICK!! If you want to update Windows, use Windows Update, and STAY AWAY from unofficial means of distribution of Windows Udates.
6) Copy purporting to come from ANY website asking for ANY Personal information, such as phone numbers, credit card numbers, passwords, etc. DON'T click on Links in such email. DELETE THEM IMMEDIATELY!!! DON'T open them, PERIOD!!! DON'T even ANSWER THEM!!! And DON'T forward them to ANYONE. You will just be sending the malware to your FRIENDS and aquaintences.
Additionally, STAY AWAY from Porn sites, "free music" sites, and any other site which advertises illegal downloads.
DON'T use P2P software. PERIOD!!! This is the SECOND-MOST effective way of distributing such malware!!!
Please, DON'T be "proud" about this highly-emotional topic. BELIEVE those of us who have already been "bitten", and have LEARNED OUR LESSON!!! Complaining about it to all your Mac and Windows friends will accomplish NOTHING!!! If you want to do something about it, FOLLOW OUR ADVICE.
Sure, we have a problem in the Windows world. We are not ashamed of it, since it is NOT anyone else's fault but the malware writers themselves, and the fault of those who REFUSE to use third-party security tools in Windows.
But there does NOT HAVE to be such a problem, IF users would actually EDUCATE themselves about this problem, rather than continually blaming Microsoft for that which is NOT their fault.
While a bullet may kill someone, it cannot fire itself. A HUMAN BEING is the one who murders, not the bullet. In the same way, IF users remain ignorant about this problem, they will continue to be part of the problem.
Do YOU want to be part of the problem, or part of the solution? Make up your minds now!!!.
I prefer to be part of the solution.
Donald L. McDaniel
is there any form of malware for mac osx?
spyware? viruses? torjans? worms?
ANYT TING? traxcking cookies?
There are a couple of Trojans lurking about on porn sites but like any other Trojan your gotta give
it permission to install. There are no known Mac viruses in the wild at present
what about spyware? like tracking cookies and stuff.
If you run windows in a VM (Fusion, Parallels) and share a Mac folder to access it from the Windows side then anything that can do bad things to a Windows directory can do those same bad things to the shared Mac directory. It's safer to share a Windows directory instead and access it from the Mac side.
Not that im aware of