If I get a new iphone can I restore App Data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kwyn, Mar 26, 2009.

1. kwyn macrumors regular

My iphone has dust in it and I want them to replace it. If they gave me a new iphone, and I back up my current one, can I restore data such as workout data that I saved within the Gym Buddy App, progress in Oregon Trail, etc...

So if when I get my new iphone, I do a restore, will I get all that data back?

2. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Yup. Just like doing a restore to the normal phone :)

3. kwyn thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet! THanks

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What's the deal with people asking simple questions like this lately? Information like this can easily be found on the web or in the iPhone manual. When you sync your iPhone to your computer, it automatically makes a backup of all your settings and installed apps and data. The only thing it doesn't back up are the applications themselves, videos, music and synced photos. What it does back up is, settings, app settings, app data, call data, sms messages, voicemail messages, mail messages, springboard icon layout, address book and everything else that's in your "mobile" user folder. As long as you have all of your apps on your computer and your music on your computer, you should be all set. If by any chance you don't have your apps copied to iTunes, you can right click on your iPhone in iTunes and choose "Transfer Purchases" from the pop-up menu. This will transfer app store apps and purchased music from iTunes, but it will not transfer other music.

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I don't know. No offense to anyone but laziness maybe?

And I don't think the Springboard layout is backed up because when I do an update and/or restore from my latest back up, my springboard layout is messed up and put to the default layout.

David

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

When you replace the phone, you can restore it from a backup, and the backup will contain all the app data you have.

TEG

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's because you're doing it wrong. The problem is... the apps get copied to the device AFTER the restore from backup is complete. What you do is restore from a backup, wait for iTunes to sync all your applications, then simply right click on your iPhone and choose "Restore from Backup" again and restore to the same backup as before. Now all your icons will be in the same place as before. This isn't really an obvious thing... I had to figure it out on my own, but yes, the layout is saved when you back up. Apple just needs to make it so that apps copy over to the iPhone before the device is restored from a backup.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ Excellent explanation SPAZ; like you said "I had to figure it out on my own as well" but all worked out quiet well.......

9. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

10. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Just an FYI,

If you are talking about apps like iMob, they will not recover backup data on a new device.

Apps like iMob use your device ID to keep track of the info on there servers. New device = New ID.

Try it. :p

11. kwyn thread starter macrumors regular

I googled it first: http://www.google.com/search?q=If+I...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

The hits I got didn't really address my question, so I posted the question in the best place I could think of and a clear, concise, answer within a few seconds from a helpful member of this forum, who took a 5 seconds out of his life to answer it.

BTW, you answer is great too. I just don't want everyone to think I didn't google first. I also worded my google search a few other ways without any good hits.

Anyways, it is not from laziness, maybe just my incompetence at using a search engine.

12. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

It's not just about asking a question, everybody can give there hints and tips etc. It's good to see what everybody has to give.

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm sorry, perhaps maybe you didn't know how to use google correctly. I tried searching for this information on my own out of pure curiosity of how hard it would be. I found this on my first try and it was the 5th result down. Here is what I found: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

I would have pasted that link, but pasting doesn't work in 3.0's Safari yet :(

14. trainguy9 macrumors newbie

So, is it possible to restore this old data? Can I retrieve the data associated with the old ID?

15. trainguy9 macrumors newbie

So, is it possible to restore this old data? Can I retrieve the data associated with the old ID?