Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
would that break the seal? I know the new iPhones have a seal, would that literally break the tight seal and now my phone is not sealed as new? Or would they actually reveal it tight just as new? How? Should I just get a replacement refurb?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
would that break the seal? I know the new iPhones have a seal, would that literally break the tight seal and now my phone is not sealed as new? Or would they actually reveal it tight just as new? How? Should I just get a replacement refurb?

What seal are you talking about?
If Apple replaces your screen everything will function normally and will be put together as stock.
An iphone is never sealed, it can take water or liquids from many different openings.
Again it's a cellphone, not a divers watch that needs to be "sealed" when you replace the battery.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What seal are you talking about?
If Apple replaces your screen everything will function normally and will be put together as stock.
An iphone is never sealed, it can take water or liquids from many different openings.
Again it's a cellphone, not a divers watch that needs to be "sealed" when you replace the battery.

He's talking about the new rubber gasket that was added in the 6s and 6s+.

https://ifixit.org/blog/7408/iphone-waterproof/

Reactions: Appl3FTW

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
If they replace the screen the new screen will be sealed as well. AFAIK its all one unit.
If the home button needs replacing the whole screen and home button get replaced.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

The choice of repair or replacement is not up to you.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Should I just get a replacement refurb?
Apple will repair the screen, not offer you a replacement. Only if you had a high number of repairs will Apple offer you a replacement and that is usually a rare occurrence, i.e., they're not in the business of giving away laptops.

As for the screen, the entire assembly is sealed, they do not replaced the LCD or any of the components they replace the entire piece so its sealed in that sense.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Ok so as far as what everyone is saying, a replacement should suffice. Thanks everyone.
[doublepost=1453839089][/doublepost]
Apple will repair the screen, not offer you a replacement. Only if you had a high number of repairs will Apple offer you a replacement and that is usually a rare occurrence, i.e., they're not in the business of giving away laptops.

As for the screen, the entire assembly is sealed, they do not replaced the LCD or any of the components they replace the entire piece so its sealed in that sense.

From what I've been told it's totally up to me.
[doublepost=1453839132][/doublepost]
The choice of repair or replacement is not up to you.
They said I can either get a screen replaced or replacement.

Merkyworks

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Recently had to have 6s screen replaced and part of the process for replacing the screen is a calibration test. The calibration test makes sure the screen in within a certain physical area of space on the phone, this must be because of 3D touch I am guessing. My 6s was dropped and the edge of the aluminum that surrounds the screen was bent in a little. The Apple tech told me that if the phone fails this calibration process a certain # of times it gets bricked and the phone will be replaced. So instead of $120 it would be $300.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Recently had to have 6s screen replaced and part of the process for replacing the screen is a calibration test. The calibration test makes sure the screen in within a certain physical area of space on the phone, this must be because of 3D touch I am guessing. My 6s was dropped and the edge of the aluminum that surrounds the screen was bent in a little. The Apple tech told me that if the phone fails this calibration process a certain # of times it gets bricked and the phone will be replaced. So instead of $120 it would be $300.
This is a factory damage, ie should be a free repair. I'm not paying for this that's for sure.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
This is a factory damage, ie should be a free repair. I'm not paying for this that's for sure.

What kind of factory defect?? :eek:

If it were me, I'd try a screen replacement to preserve matching serial numbers between box and phone (I'm ocd like that). But I've never had a screen replacement before, so I don't know how the quality it. If I had problems with the replacement, I'd go back and point out my concerns, and hope for a device exchange. That's just me tho.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Ok update: They replaced the phone no questions asked lol
[doublepost=1453864010][/doublepost]
I would not replace the whoe phone. Had lot of trouble getting worse units
The one is a returned and it's basically a newly refurbished phone. Good as new.
[doublepost=1453864192][/doublepost]
What kind of factory defect?? :eek:

If it were me, I'd try a screen replacement to preserve matching serial numbers between box and phone (I'm ocd like that). But I've never had a screen replacement before, so I don't know how the quality it. If I had problems with the replacement, I'd go back and point out my concerns, and hope for a device exchange. That's just me tho.
I was thinking about that, believe me I want everything to match. However, this is out of my control. I'd rather get a fresh refurbished iPhone than sacrifice a defective repair. I have all the paperwork so I can document it was replaced under warranty.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Glad it worked out.

For what it's worth, I had my 6s+ screen replaced last month due to a bright pixel. The process was easy (took about 2 hours) and my phone is as good as new. I think you would have been good either way.

Reactions: Appl3FTW

jessiener

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2016
I would not replace the whoe phone.
1ce12.jpg
ht11.jpg

dh.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.