If I had one wish... (OS X on PC)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ursadorable, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Ursadorable macrumors 6502

Ursadorable

I would wish that Mac OS X was released for commodity PC hardware.

With the way Microsoft is pushing telemetry, and their path heading toward Windows as a rented platform, there's definitely a market for OSX on PC.

I switched back to Mac just to escape Microsoft stranglehold.

The hackintosh route is plagued with bugs and problems, and Apple doesn't have the hardware offerings to satisfy everyones needs.

Anyways.. it's just a wish, one that will sadly never come to pass.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple tried that once before and it nearly broke the company. I can't see Apple doing it again.

3. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Apple did not try it before it was still limited to the same over priced hardware they were using at the time not a PCs commodity hardware. They were using an OS that had no ability to run on PC hardware at that time unlike now where it will with a little help from some amateur tinkerers if you desire to try it.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

If PC users want to get away from Windows there are plenty of completely free Linux options already available. And although Linux is not a substitute for OS X, especially for creative work, the small target market for such a release probably isn't worth removing one of the biggest selling points from all Mac hardware. Not to mention all the issues people would have with drivers/compatibility/instability on PC hardware and the work it would take to make OS X universally compatible.

5. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

There really is no such thing as Mac hardware these days it is just mostly PC standard commodity hardware in a machine manufactured by Apple. The extremely hard work of making it compatible is mainly adding a devices PCID to the Info.plist of the relevant .kext that has been artificially limited by Apple to only include the devices in the machines they make. If a bunch of amateurs can do it then a multi-billion dollar company most certainly can get it done.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Anyone who has researched building a Hackintosh knows that choosing the right components for OS X is very important. Given how many PC configurations OS X-on-PC buyers would have, like different GPUs, Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, etc. there is bound to be a lot of incompatibility issues. And compatible kexts for all this hardware would need to be developed.

7. Ursadorable thread starter macrumors 6502

Ursadorable

Even that's no guarantee. I had every component listed on the compatibility list, and still couldn't get it to work reliably. I finally broke down and bought a used Mac Pro.

8. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

GPU mainly connector problems or integrated models never used by Apple that are the problem in case you have never noticed, there is a reason why them nvidia drivers for instance work with pretty much all their cards put in a Mac Pro they do not discriminate against them when writing the code unlike Apple. There is no magic fairy dust sprinkled on to Apple sourced from PC manufacturers parts that makes them anything other than commodity hardware every other manufacturer produces. The drivers for the vast majority are already in FreeBSD which OSX is based on and easily ported to it hell they even take drivers from Linux and port them over to get this stuff to work its not rocket science just basic computer engineering. People paid absolutely nothing are getting it done let alone someone whos job would depend on it.