Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas card

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
I'm an iphone 5s user , I'm thinking of trading for a nexus 5 or note 3 but I had a galaxy s3 and hated the ui and the whole thing , would I regret trading

Thomas card

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
I had a few android phones I had the atrix hd and the galaxy s3 and hated the way they worked , always crashing and the galaxy was real stuttery like going between home screens and internet was nice on the big screen but always crashed , then I started a job and my coworker had a 4s and I played with it and instantly that night went out and got one , I missed the big beautiful screen so I tried another s3 and within 3 hours had the same crap happen that bothered me before and back to the 4s I went , I got the 5 and now the 5s and I'm getting bored but in your opinion will I go through the same thing again , and if I trade I can't just go back to the 5s once it's gone .

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'm an iphone 5s user , I'm thinking of trading for a nexus 5 or note 3 but I had a galaxy s3 and hated the ui and the whole thing , would I regret trading

I think the TouchWiz skin that Samsung puts on top of Android is horrible, so you will probably hate the Note3. The Nexus 5, on the other hand, has vanilla Android and I personally think it is pretty awesome.

Thomas card

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
I heard the camera is terrible on the nexus and playback on videos is terrible or something , I just don't wanna be kicking myself if I do this , I want to try the nexus but giving away the 64 bit processor and the new camera and touch id just for a bigger screen , it would kill me if it still suffered from the problems android had a year or so ago , the 5s is just reliable and smooth all the time

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I heard the camera is terrible on the nexus and playback on videos is terrible or something ,

The initial reviews found that the camera had issues. I have recently read that subsequent software updates have fixed the problem. I'm not sure about video playback though, I haven't run into that one.

I just don't wanna be kicking myself if I do this , I want to try the nexus but giving away the 64 bit processor and the new camera and touch id just for a bigger screen , it would kill me if it still suffered from the problems android had a year or so ago , the 5s is just reliable and smooth all the time

Well, when I was thinking about buying a Nexus 4, I went to play around with the one on display at the T-Mobile store near where I live. You could always take the N5 for a test drive that way.

*edit* I certainly wouldn't TRADE a 5s for a N5. You might wanna think about just buying one outright, they're only $350, and selling it if you hate it.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Of course you'll hate them you have already used a iPhone. If the only phone you ever knew to exist was a flip phone and and samsung then I'm sure you'd love the Samsung. But that's only when you don't know there is heaven on iOS.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Of course you'll hate them you have already used a iPhone. If the only phone you ever knew to exist was a flip phone and and samsung then I'm sure you'd love the Samsung. But that's only when you don't know there is heaven on iOS.

Samsung RUINS Android with their TouchWiz skin. Have you used a Nexus 5, HTC One or Moto X? Totally different game...

Thomas card

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Thank you for the replies it actually helps , I usually don't post I just read through but now I got offered a trade from a friend for a brand new unlocked nexus 5 and I'm lost lol , I don't think I can give up the 5s I think I would regret it

----------

As far as android I have only had a atrix hd and a galaxy s3 and those two phones ruined it on me , then I found iphone and have been happy ever since , till I got this offer and saw that big beautiful screen on the nexus , but is it worth everything the iphone 5s packs ?

Thomas card

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Not that I get bored a lot , I got 5 children lol I'm never bored , I get bored with objects like this and end up moving on but as far as phones go I'm stuck on this 5s , I wanna try the nexus but I'm just not sure if my past experience with android will reoccur , I'm bad with stuff like this I buy a new gun and trade it in the next month and end up kicking myself lol

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Thank you for the replies it actually helps , I usually don't post I just read through but now I got offered a trade from a friend for a brand new unlocked nexus 5 and I'm lost lol , I don't think I can give up the 5s I think I would regret it

----------

As far as android I have only had a atrix hd and a galaxy s3 and those two phones ruined it on me , then I found iphone and have been happy ever since , till I got this offer and saw that big beautiful screen on the nexus , but is it worth everything the iphone 5s packs ?

I certainly wouldn't trade a $650-850 iPhone for a $350-400 Nexus 5. The guy with the N5 needs to throw some cash in to make it even.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You can always buy one and test it out.
I think carriers and most retailers give you 14 days to try and you can return for a full refund.
This way you can keep the iphone in case you want to go back to it after.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Take the easy way, keep your iPhone.

Let those of us that enjoy learning new technologies and devices reap the rewards of the wonderfully capable KitKat phones.

My iPhone 5S is nice, but my Nexus 5 is fast fun exciting and suits my preferences better. YMMV. :D

Thomas card

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
No that's not the case here , my phone is something I use every day all day , calls , texting , internet , and also for entertainment , this thing has my life in it I use it for everything so of coarse switching to a nexus 5 is scary , especially if it's inferior to the iphone I already own , I just don't wanna make a mistake so my question really boils down to is the nexus 5 a better phone than a 5s for the things I mentioned , and the camera is a big deal to me because of family moments and that's one of the iPhones strongest points , no offense taken I'm sorry if I got offended to quickly I have a habit of doing that , plus let me ask you this , is it weird this guy said he just bought this nexus 3 days ago but he only has the phone and contents in the box , but no box and he's willing to drive 2 hours to trade me , it smells fishy to me , I ran his imei number and it didn't come up stolen but the phone hasn't even been turned on yet so it wouldn't have had a chance to be reported yet would it ?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
let me ask you this , is it weird this guy said he just bought this nexus 3 days ago but he only has the phone and contents in the box , but no box and he's willing to drive 2 hours to trade me , it smells fishy to me , I ran his imei number and it didn't come up stolen but the phone hasn't even been turned on yet so it wouldn't have had a chance to be reported yet would it ?

The Nexus 5 is only a $350-400 phone when you buy it BRAND NEW and UNLOCED from google. This is without signing a contract, and it is not a subsidized price. The same iPhone, unlocked and unsubsidized will cost you $650-750.

If you just trade straight across, you're getting ripped off.

Thomas card

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
That's what I thought why would he throw the box away but have all the contents ? And drive 2 hours to trade , the only reason I didn't ask for money ontop was because he was driving so far but the no box thing has me second guessing it , the imei came back clean unlocked but that's only because he didn't try to activate it yet , right ? I really do appreciate the responses

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
A 2 hour drive isn't worth $300. Something fishy going on with the deal.

If you really want to try Android out again, save up and buy a N5. If you hate it, flip it on eBay, you make end up with a $25 loss.

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007

I will say this, im no fanboy of either platform and had nexus 5 now have 5s. You will regret trading no doubt in my mind. Nexus 5 has terrible battery life and lots of little demons going on. Yes you can improve battery life by installing custom kernels and essentially turning off all the features that make smartphone a smartphone.

I also hated that rubberized housing on the black version as well as terrible viewing angles on the screen.

I ended up selling nexus 5 and got gold 5s. Never looked back.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think the TouchWiz skin that Samsung puts on top of Android is horrible, so you will probably hate the Note3. The Nexus 5, on the other hand, has vanilla Android and I personally think it is pretty awesome.

I suppose we are all different. I quite liked touch wiz and found vanilla android bland. In the end it wasn't enough and I came back to the iPhone.

Thomas card

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
So it seems all roads lead back to iphone lol , I think I'm going to pass up this trade and keep the 5s , caveman thanks for your reply it's nice to get an opinion from someone who had a chance to use both phones thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.