If I have 2 ipads

Discussion in 'iPad' started by McGilli, Feb 22, 2011.

1. McGilli macrumors 6502

Is it possible to tell iTunes to sync some apps on one of the iPads, and then tell it to sync a different set of apps onto another one?

Example - children's apps on 1 ipad, adult apps on a 2nd ipad.

I only have one right now - but will give my daughter mine when I get a v2 ipad.

2. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Yea, create her own user account on the computer and she can have her own iTunes.

3. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

even without multiple accounts, it's certainly possible. You can manually manage apps for each device

4. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

Separate iPads

I'm not exactly sure what "own user account" and "own iTunes" means. That method (whatever it is) may work.

But there's a simpler way - just plug in each iPad and manage it separately.

You can have two different iPads, each with a separate set of apps. When you plug iPad 1 into your computer, it will fire up iTunes and show that iPad's apps, music, and other information. You set that up however you want.

Then you unhook iPad 1, and hook up iPad 2. Your computer will fire up iTunes and show you the apps on iPad 2. You can set up iPad 2 with whatever apps, music, and other things you want. Just like you did for iPad 1.

The name of the iPad connected is shown in iTunes on the left hand side.

As an overview, there is a set of apps on your computer, which you access via iTunes. By access, I mean you can examine the apps on your computer and decide which ones go to the iPad that's currently hooked up.

For example, I currently have two iPod Touches and one iPad. When I plug any of these in to the computer, iTunes fires up and shows me what's on that particular iDevice. I have 476 apps on my computer. On my iPad I have 63 of those apps. On one iPod Touch I have a different set of about 80 apps (there is some overlap with the iPad). On the other iPod Touch I have a third set of about 50 apps.

As another layer of complexity, you can buy apps from the App Store either on you iPad or on your computer. If you buy it on the iPad, the next time you hook it up to your computer, that app will be copied from the iPad to the computer. If you buy it on the computer, the next time you hook up either of your iPads, that app will be copied from your computer to your iPad (but only if you have set the "copy new apps" checkbox in the App section of your iPad's information in iTunes).

5. Alfie macrumors member

You can create a separate account if you want, but it's not necessary. My wife and I each have an iPad and only one computer account and one iTunes account. When our individual iPads are plugged into iTunes, we just check the apps under the Apps tab that we want on our iPad and uncheck the ones we don't want. iTunes recognizes that the iPads are unique and keeps our apps the way we want them.

6. hi res macrumors member

hi res

*patiently waits for Gryzor to flame OP for being able to afford 2 iPads

7. shen macrumors 6502

That would be stupid. I prefer to kiss up and hope he buys me one....

8. McGilli thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone - everything I needed to know....

9. PCClone macrumors 6502a

what kind of adult apps you have?

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Was going to say, if you have 2 ipads, you'll need to accessorize with another set of eyes.

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Syncing options are unique to each device.

Simply name the iPads appropriately when you first set them up: ie. "Dad's iPad" and "Kid's iPad" or similar.

Connect each iPad to your computer.

In iTunes, select your device (below Devices), and then click the Apps button.

Select Sync Apps, and then select the apps you want to sync. If you have iOS 3.1 or later, you can also do the following:

Drag apps from the list on the left to the home screen on the right.

Arrange your device’s home screens by dragging app icons to where you want them to appear.

Click Apply.

12. McGilli thread starter macrumors 6502

'Adult' only in the sense of productivity and violent bloody games :)

13. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

But...

The above processes are true but you have to know that the apps you purchase are only linked to that account. So if you buy, for example, Angry Birds with your account, you can't transfer that app into another iPad with a different account(your daughter's account). You would have to repurchase Angry Birds again for her to use it. Otherwise, pirating would be epically rampant with the inclusion of direct automatic updating from the app devs, something jailbroken devices don't have. Same goes with music, movies,...etc.

New ipad -> new account(unless you never update one of the iPads) -> new purchases(unless free):rolleyes:

Hope that helps. Oh, and Happy Birthday Steve Jobs.:D:p:D

14. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

Right, but that's why most households have a shared apple account.

15. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Quite the opposite actually - it just proves that it is possible to be able to afford to hand tech down to family members and buy a new version for yourself. I'd rather see my daughter get some enjoyment out of it rather than mess about selling it to minimise losses.

16. poloponies macrumors 68030

There are games that are too violent and bloody for kids? Have you talked to any kids these days?