If I have 64 BIT bootcamp, do I need a 64 bit version of Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xLeanna, Dec 20, 2009.

1. xLeanna macrumors newbie

Hi! I'm new to the forum - I would usually just ask my boyfriend for help with this, but since it's his Christmas present I can't (lol) and this was my first stop for help!

I'm trying to buy him Windows Vista for his Mac. He has an older 13" white Macbook, nothing special. He downloaded Snow Leopard for the 64 bit support, and has (as far as I'm aware) downloaded the drivers for Bootcamp and all that jazz. He has a version of windows now, but he needs a new one.

My question, specifically, is that if he has Snow Leopard and the 64 bit support, should I make sure the Windows OS that I buy has 64 bit support also? I only just noticed that there is, apparently, a difference between the "old" 32 bit versions and the "new" 64 bit ones - does it matter which one I get him?

Thanks!

2. celticpride678

Snow Leopard does not make a difference on the Windows Boot Camp partition. You can get either 64-bit or 32-bit versions.

3. xLeanna thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know what the difference is between the two versions? Is one necessarily better than the other?

4. xLeanna thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, thanks, that link helped a little lol.

The faster the better, so maybe I should go with 64 bit. I hadn't realized Microsoft had split their systems like that, too. I thought it was just Apple trying to get ahead again - I guess I don't pay enough attention lol.

Thanks for your help!

5. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

Wait! First off, why are you getting Vista?
    Windows 7 is the newest version of Windows.
    Secondly, yes, 64bit allows for more RAM to be recognised. Unless he has the Core Duo MacBook rather than a Core 2 Duo MacBook, then go for 64bit.
    If he has Core Duo however, then Windows 64bit won't work, as Core Duo only supports 32bit instruction.

6. xLeanna thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'm getting Vista because Windows 7 -just- came out. None of the bugs have been worked out yet and I don't want a repeat of what happened when Vista came out - it didn't work with anything we had.

That was when I was still a PC user. And, actually, one of the reasons I switched to Mac. *ahem* Anyway.

He mentioned that he didn't want Windows 7, that's all. He has a Core 2 Duo, too. So 64 bit should work.

I'm just frustrated because I didn't realize there was a difference yet lol.

7. Mumford macrumors regular

To digress from the Mac forum...

I'm with TheWelshBoyo here: get Windows 7. 7 is a much better product at launch than Vista was, and it could be argued that even now 7 (just launched) is better than Vista (3+ years "mature").

8. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

Well, well, well...
    I'm not saying that Vista is bad.
    Vista was never bad, it was just we'd been living with computers designed for mainstream XP. Then, people decided to upgrade and the manufacturers hadn't made drivers for Vista.
    It wasn't Microsoft's fault.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol it doesnt matter which version you purchase. both will work.

not that windows 7 is NOT currently supported via apple and bootcamp, so there WILL be problems running it.

so yup vista 64-bit should be perfectly fine :D the only reason you would get 64-bit is if you will have more then 4GB of RAM... (main reason).

10. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

Yeah, I know, but Apple are going to start to support it.
    Now, I don't wanna sound like Shambo the ass, but getting 7 would be futureproof. *cringe* That is, unless Microsoft develop a new version by Christmas day. Unlikely, methinks.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup that will take a good 2/3 months, if her BF can put up with problems until then, she should go for it.

arent there some dealers that sell vista with a free upgrade to win7?

i personally run 64-bit win7 on my imac - so yea the problems are well known to me for that machine, but i have no idea what would happen to the MB.

12. Mumford macrumors regular

Ok, LOL... I should clarify "I'm with TheWelshBoyo here: get Windows 7." Everything else is my opinion :).