if I have a dvd...

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
267
0
Lets say I have Lost Season 2 on dvd, and I want it on my mac. Can I pop the dvds in and rip them to itunes and watch them as if i downloaded it from itunes?
 

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
5,115
6
iphil said:
is there an app to convert the already ripped dvds to itunes? :eek: :confused:
Sorry. I knew he said iTunes but I was thinking FrontRow for some reason.

My name is Stuart and I am a dumbass! :D

THREAD STUTTERS
 

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
4,091
217
On the same subject, what's the likelihood that Apple will release iTunes 8 complete with a DVD ripper?

I thought about the implications that it would have as far as increasing piracy (possibly, seeing as how movie piracy is already pretty "big"). I thought that this could be combated by adding FairPlay to the encoded media. The ripped copy would be tied to the iTS account and playable on only authorized machines.

@ those people
Yes, it would restrict one's abilities, but since you already own the media, you would still be free to rip it into whatever other format you like, just not in iTunes.

I'm not sure it would work though, as iTunes would have to remove the CSS and Macrovision filters which might violate the DMCA (circumventing copyright protection) and get Apple in a slew of legal trouble.
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,080
287
Indianapolis
jdechko said:
On the same subject, what's the likelihood that Apple will release iTunes 8 complete with a DVD ripper?

I thought about the implications that it would have as far as increasing piracy (possibly, seeing as how movie piracy is already pretty "big"). I thought that this could be combated by adding FairPlay to the encoded media. The ripped copy would be tied to the iTS account and playable on only authorized machines.

@ those people
Yes, it would restrict one's abilities, but since you already own the media, you would still be free to rip it into whatever other format you like, just not in iTunes.

I'm not sure it would work though, as iTunes would have to remove the CSS and Macrovision filters which might violate the DMCA (circumventing copyright protection) and get Apple in a slew of legal trouble.
Apple violate the DMCA and try to take away from its iTunes sales? Huh?
 

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
4,091
217
Eidorian said:
Apple violate the DMCA and try to take away from its iTunes sales? Huh?
Sorry, I'll try to clear it up a little bit.

First, the easy part... In my opinion, Including a DVD ripper won't hurt iTunes movie sales any more than including a CD ripper hurt iTunes music sales. The fact is that people usually don't like to repurchase media that they already own. So I don't see it as a loss of sale to Apple just because they include a DVD ripper in iTunes.

The DMCA part was more of a question. If Apple included a DVD ripper in iTunes, could it bring about a lawsuit for the violation of the DMCA? If so, then what about all of the current DVD rippers? Are they in violation of the DMCA as well?
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,080
287
Indianapolis
jdechko said:
The DMCA part was more of a question. If Apple included a DVD ripper in iTunes, could it bring about a lawsuit for the violation of the DMCA? If so, then what about all of the current DVD rippers? Are they in violation of the DMCA as well?
Shh...