Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
There is something to be said for going cross-platform. One of the reasons why I chose a Nexus 7 over an iPad mini is the fact that I have an iPhone. I figured, I have iOS, why not get Android too and enjoy the benefits of both? Now my phone and my tablet can each do things that the other can't.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
There is something to be said for going cross-platform. One of the reasons why I chose a Nexus 7 over an iPad mini is the fact that I have an iPhone. I figured, I have iOS, why not get Android too and enjoy the benefits of both? Now my phone and my tablet can each do things that the other can't.

Like what?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Ditto. What can Android do that iOS can't? Aside from knowing both platforms well, I don't really know that I see a difference.

Aside from the greater degree of customization with widgets and such, which Android users always like to brag about, I find that Android just allows me to use my tablet more like a mini PC. Just little things like being able to connect to my computer and drag and drop files at will, and having access to a full file management system to move, sort, and place my content however I like. iOS generally runs smoother and certainly has a better app library, but you have to jailbreak your device to even approach the level of freedom and flexibility that Android gives you right out of the box.

Not trying to start a fight though. As I said, I use and enjoy them both a great deal, for different reasons.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Aside from the greater degree of customization with widgets and such, which Android users always like to brag about, I find that Android just allows me to use my tablet more like a mini PC. Just little things like being able to connect to my computer and drag and drop files at will, and having access to a full file management system to move, sort, and place my content however I like. iOS generally runs smoother and certainly has a better app library, but you have to jailbreak your device to even approach the level of freedom and flexibility that Android gives you right out of the box.

Not trying to start a fight though. As I said, I use and enjoy them both a great deal, for different reasons.

I think it's the aspect ratio and the lack of tablet optimised apps, but all I use my android tablet for is watching videos. I do a lot more with my iPad air.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I think it's the aspect ratio and the lack of tablet optimised apps, but all I use my android tablet for is watching videos. I do a lot more with my iPad air.

Yes, that's one of the disadvantages of Android on a tablet. No one seems interested in optimizing the tablet experience. Most of the apps are clearly designed for phones, and just blown up to fit on a larger screen. I use a Nexus 7 though, so it's not too bad considering that 7" isn't much bigger than some of the larger phones anyway.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008

What you consider freedom and flexibility other may think of as needless complexity.

Back in the days when memory management was in its infancy, I used to run DOS with QEMM and spent a great deal of time organizing my OS start up so that I could load the appropriate programs in the right place in memory. It was an evil necessity if you push the envelope of what you system could do at the time. Now a day that sort of fine tuning is no longer necessary.

Modern document management is similar. For most users, there is no need to think about the file system on a mobile device if the apps you use are properly designed. Take your photos for instant. You don't organize your photos in a folder and point various apps to where the photos are. You know the apps that knows how to access your photos the way the photos are organized. So instead of of having your custom photo library with folder structure that you has to teach every app how to access, you use a standard structure with some organization. Perhaps it's not as flexible as some people think, but having been down the road as an amateur photographer with library in Lightroom and Aperture I can see how custom file organization can be daunting for most users.

A good analogy is my memory. I don't want to know where I store that person's name. I just want to be able to recall it whenever I need it.

Last edited:

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
If you asked or unsure, I believe you don't need iPhone. Enjoy your life.

I had iPhone and iPad, iMac and MacBook and honestly feels like a bit 'trapped' in iOS rather than move to other phones because of many purchased I had in iPhone.

Hey all, so here is my question for you..

I am currently a resident in medical school..

I just upgraded my phone this morning to a blackberry torch (as I have mostly used blackberries since the iphone 2g) and I have an iPad..

I use my iPad everyday and carry it with me on rounds to take notes and use the medical apps that I have purchased..

The blackberry seems great to carry around and use mainly for emails and the new torch seems like a nice improvement for some web browsing etc..

My question is should I keep the torch or get rid of it and use my upgrade for the iPhone 4 and sell my iPad???

Please tell me what you think of your phones and if that might be a good idea for me..

Thank you!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yes, that's one of the disadvantages of Android on a tablet. No one seems interested in optimizing the tablet experience. Most of the apps are clearly designed for phones, and just blown up to fit on a larger screen. I use a Nexus 7 though, so it's not too bad considering that 7" isn't much bigger than some of the larger phones anyway.

Yes it's ok on the nexus 7, but pretty rubbish on 10 inch tablets.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Just want to share my own experience. Some of the missing apps/features in iPhone compared to android are:

- outlook client. Touchdown is better than any in iOS. Calendar, tasks, email.
- swift key, except if your iPhone is capable enough for iOS 8
- mantano reader, IMHO is better than iBooks

iOS is also has its own advantage:
- things, not available in android. The closest is 2do which not as comfortable as things
- HT Recorder for audio recording. I haven't seen its match in android, in term of quality and features
- iCloud because I have Mac

It's not about which one is better, but IMHO variation of device have also its own advantage.

Ditto. What can Android do that iOS can't? Aside from knowing both platforms well, I don't really know that I see a difference.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
What you consider freedom and flexibility other may think of as needless complexity.

Back in the days when memory management was in its infancy, I used to run DOS with QEMM and spent a great deal of time organizing my OS start up so that I could load the appropriate programs in the right place in memory. It was an evil necessity if you push the envelope of what you system could do at the time. Now a day that sort of fine tuning is no longer necessary.

Modern document management is similar. For most users, there is no need to think about the file system on a mobile device if the apps you use are properly designed. Take your photos for instant. You don't organize your photos in a folder and point various apps to where the photos are. You know the apps that knows how to access your photos the way the photos are organized. So instead of of having your custom photo library with folder structure that you has to teach every app how to access, you use a standard structure with some organization. Perhaps it's not as flexible as some people think, but having been down the road as an amateur photographer with library in Lightroom and Aperture I can see how custom file organization can be daunting for most users.

A good analogy is my memory. I don't want to know where I store that person's name. I just want to be able to recall it whenever I need it.
I hear what you're saying, but I don't think it's "needless complexity" to be able to copy and paste a file from my PC onto my tablet just like any other storage device. Having to sync with iTunes, email it to myself, or use the cloud to do it is more complex. Or being able to place a document which I need to access frequently right on my home screen rather than having to launch an app and then open it through there. On the whole, iOS is definitely the more user friendly OS, but its restrictive nature does make some simple tasks much more difficult. The native email app doesn't even let you attach files. You have to open the file and then hope that the app you're using allows you to export to mail.

BrentwoodTWO

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2014
It's the other way around actually... If you already have an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, you don't need an iPad mini or an iPad Air. Regardless, whether you have an ipad or not, you still need to have an iPhone. So, the bottomline is you never need an iPad.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I hear what you're saying, but I don't think it's "needless complexity" to be able to copy and paste a file from my PC onto my tablet just like any other storage device. Having to sync with iTunes, email it to myself, or use the cloud to do it is more complex. Or being able to place a document which I need to access frequently right on my home screen rather than having to launch an app and then open it through there. On the whole, iOS is definitely the more user friendly OS, but its restrictive nature does make some simple tasks much more difficult. The native email app doesn't even let you attach files. You have to open the file and then hope that the app you're using allows you to export to mail.

I see. So you want to have a file manager in iOS? Perhaps the ability to run a shell like Bash and do thing the way you would on OSX or Linux?

The way things are done in iOS seems to be like this. Apps cannot access resources (files) created by another app unless they are special shared resources like photos, contacts, etc. Once an app has access to the resource, it can use the mail service to mail the resource.

Once you allow one app the ability to access resource created by another app, you have a lot more things to consider. Perhaps those things would make the OS a bit more complicated than Apple want it to be at the moment.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
the poster has his questions confused.

He has a phone (blackberry)
He has a tablet (ipad)

The real question is should he have a blackberry or an iphone?

Seems pretty simple to me.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
As if the OP getting a BB Torch wasn't a good enough give away there are dates. Why was this thread brought back to life?

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014
I will give you a good answer.

First off BBs are played out, if you still have one, i guess you are a blackberry head.

At the same time the iPad has a lot of more apps then the BB, so the iPad is hands down the better solution for you.

Now the issue that we run into is making calls and the cost required to keep it down.

First off you need to get one of them iPad Data Unlimited Plans from ATT that cost 29.99 a month.

When it comes to calling, there are a lot of apps that you can use for calling and texting which is low cost. Example.

Line 2: A good VOIP apps that has been around for a long period of time, was once called (Toktumi) they provide VOIP calling and text HD voice.

For a year of service the cost is 99.00 a year for unlimited calling and text.

When you add up the Unlimited Data Plan when it comes to the iPad 29.99 a month, you add that up for 12 months, to round it off your pretty much paying about 360.00 a year for unlimited data.

Unlimited Calling & Text: 99.00 a Year
Unlimited Data for iPad : 360.00

Round amount total: 460.00

For the entire year of unlimited data and call and text all on the iPad, get your self a goo quality bluetooth, and your good to go my man.

Based on what i described i would let the BB go and just use the iPad for Data Calls and Text.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
I will give you a good answer.

First off BBs are played out, if you still have one, i guess you are a blackberry head.

At the same time the iPad has a lot of more apps then the BB, so the iPad is hands down the better solution for you.

Now the issue that we run into is making calls and the cost required to keep it down.

First off you need to get one of them iPad Data Unlimited Plans from ATT that cost 29.99 a month.

When it comes to calling, there are a lot of apps that you can use for calling and texting which is low cost. Example.

Line 2: A good VOIP apps that has been around for a long period of time, was once called (Toktumi) they provide VOIP calling and text HD voice.

For a year of service the cost is 99.00 a year for unlimited calling and text.

When you add up the Unlimited Data Plan when it comes to the iPad 29.99 a month, you add that up for 12 months, to round it off your pretty much paying about 360.00 a year for unlimited data.

Unlimited Calling & Text: 99.00 a Year
Unlimited Data for iPad : 360.00

Round amount total: 460.00

For the entire year of unlimited data and call and text all on the iPad, get your self a goo quality bluetooth, and your good to go my man.

Based on what i described i would let the BB go and just use the iPad for Data Calls and Text.

Dude have you looked at the post date of this thread??????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.