If I import an iPhone to Norway..

cstromme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Is there any way to activate it and use it with any sim-card?

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
No

At least, for the moment. Hackers are hard at work, and have been hard at work for a month now.

They've made good headway, we now have the ability to do 3rd party apps, and they can also do some simcard hacking. However, the ability to make and receive calls with a non-AT&T simcard is not possible at the moment. Another month or two, and probably, yes.

cstromme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
I thougt there was a hack available to activate it? I could have sworn I read someone using it with a prepaid card?

Olgeezer

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
Any update?

I see this set of posts today and I wonder if there's any update on using my 3GS in Norway this summer? Can I get a SIM card at the airport in Oslo?

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
It's a world phone, so as long as you have an activated SIM card, you shouldn't have any problems.

Olgeezer

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
Oops

I've bought a 4GS with Verizon to get signal at home, and now have my de-activated 3GS, so I'd need to hook up with a Norway provider, if that's possible.

Olgeezer

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
Re-wording

I have the Verizon 4 whatever iPhone which I do understand won't work in Europe. It works very well here, since I can get a signal (as opposed to ATT).

The question was supposed to be - can I get a SIM card/provider in Europe for my old 3GS ATT phone, which I'm no longer using but still have. So can I walk off the plane in Amsterdam or Oslo, find a SIM-card provider, and have them set me up with service with my old 3GS phone.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Yes you can use your 3GS, but the level of difficulty lies in what baseband (modem firmware) version you have.