If I import an iPhone to Norway..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cstromme, Aug 1, 2007.

1. cstromme macrumors regular

Is there any way to activate it and use it with any sim-card?

2. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

No

At least, for the moment. Hackers are hard at work, and have been hard at work for a month now.

They've made good headway, we now have the ability to do 3rd party apps, and they can also do some simcard hacking. However, the ability to make and receive calls with a non-AT&T simcard is not possible at the moment. Another month or two, and probably, yes.

3. cstromme thread starter macrumors regular

I thougt there was a hack available to activate it? I could have sworn I read someone using it with a prepaid card?

4. hanzoh macrumors member

Yes, an AT&T prepaid card, or every other reseller that uses AT&T's network code, you can activate it with iASign from www.iphonedevwiki.com

5. Olgeezer macrumors newbie

Any update?

I see this set of posts today and I wonder if there's any update on using my 3GS in Norway this summer? Can I get a SIM card at the airport in Oslo?

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It's a world phone, so as long as you have an activated SIM card, you shouldn't have any problems.

7. Olgeezer macrumors newbie

Oops

I've bought a 4GS with Verizon to get signal at home, and now have my de-activated 3GS, so I'd need to hook up with a Norway provider, if that's possible.

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Can you tell me where I can buy one of those unreleased 4GS?!

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

First there is no 4GS phone. Second Verizon iPhones use CDMA, which is almost non-existent in Europe.

10. Olgeezer macrumors newbie

Re-wording

I have the Verizon 4 whatever iPhone which I do understand won't work in Europe. It works very well here, since I can get a signal (as opposed to ATT).

The question was supposed to be - can I get a SIM card/provider in Europe for my old 3GS ATT phone, which I'm no longer using but still have. So can I walk off the plane in Amsterdam or Oslo, find a SIM-card provider, and have them set me up with service with my old 3GS phone.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

11. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Yes you can use your 3GS, but the level of difficulty lies in what baseband (modem firmware) version you have.

12. Olgeezer macrumors newbie

Firmware version

How do I find out what version I have?

13. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador