If I insert my sim from my 3GS into a gophone, will it work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 99MustangGTman, Jun 9, 2010.

1. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

2. 99MustangGTman thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool thank you, I know it was a dumb question, but I was unsure.

3. AuburnApple macrumors member

Yes it will, but save some money and buy a refurbished GoPhone from ATT. They have one slightly better than the one you linked to for just 8.99. I have this one and it works fine with my 3GS sim. I use it all the time when I go somewhere I don't want to take my iPhone.

Nokia 2330 GoPhone

4. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

LMAO. Same phone I picked up 3 days ago. Let me inform you it'll be hard not having it around but it's manageable. You'll sit there in the option menu hoping something will jump out at you but you know it won't. :cool:

5. 99MustangGTman thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome! I am going to the ATT store tomorrow and buying that!

EDIT: I see thats online only, i'll pay a couple bucks more I guess.

6. AuburnApple macrumors member

Yeah, the phone sucks, but it's nice to have basically a disposable phone for situations where you don't want to take your iPhone. Like on lake trips and in Strip Clubs on Bourbon Street. Just pop the sim in the cheap GoPhone and get as drunk as you want without worrying about dropping and/or losing your phone. Haha. :D

7. 99MustangGTman thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha very true.

8. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Funny, I called AT&T about this same question and got two different answers. One said no problem, the second (an alleged supervisor) said if I put my iPhone 3Gs SIM card in a Go-phone, the system would detect that its not an iPhone and drop my data plan. I have the $30 unlimited, so I am hesitant to do that.

Unfortunately, I only qualify for the $399/$499 'upgrade.':mad:

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I have seen others post that this happens. And yet even others saying their data was never dropped.

Seems to me it's a toss-up, just depends on if AT&Ts scanners catch you.

10. brarian macrumors newbie

Also selling iPhone, does using SIM in dumbphone affect upgrade eligibility?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I just want to make sure that popping my SIM into a gophone during the interim won't affect my upgrade eligibility.

11. slickmacke macrumors newbie

I've been rolling with a goPhone for a week now since selling my 1st gen on Craigslist and I checked my bill online and they did change my phone to the goPhone and they dropped my data plan. I still get the full upgrade price, but I will have to choose one of the new data plans...since I was on the $20 data plan and never went over 2 gigs, I'm not worried about having an unlimited plan.

12. christyn macrumors 6502a

It will work, I considered doing the same thing, just sold my 3GS today, but have decided just to go cell phoneless for the 2 weeks as I don't want to risk losing the data plan.

13. Star-fire macrumors 6502

I would do this but I don't want to lose my unlimited, it would be nice to have a cheap phone for those days I don't want to take my iphone.

What about a cheap unlocked phone?

14. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Didn't you read the thread before replying? We know about the cheap unlocked phone answer. The question remains: will AT&T take off the unlimited data while he(me or we) are using the unlocked phone?

I received both answers from AT&T, I don't know what to believe anymore.

15. Star-fire macrumors 6502

Yes, but you talk about a gophone, that's not unlocked from AT&T.

16. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

That's a great point, thank you for that suggestion.

I still have to find a buyer for my 32GB 3Gs first though.:D

17. JReynolds macrumors 6502

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!

I checked my eligibility for an early upgrade. I was able to upgrade for $399-$499. I'm cool with that so I sold my 3GS and bought a temporary GoPhone. I'm still paying my iPhone Data plan and inserted my sim into the go phone. Their system now sees me as a "no iPhone user" which ultimately took away my upgrade!!!

I called multiple times and now have a case file and MIGHT get my upgrade option back. If not they want me to pay $699 or something crazy.

18. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

No biggie for me, I'll just borrow my Mom's cell phone if I need to. She uses 10 minutes a month, so she won't miss it.

19. Star-fire macrumors 6502

Eh best to just wait it seems, that's OK. I still have my Gen 1 phone, but it's not 3g so I'll just wait it out.

20. christyn macrumors 6502a

Heard this a lot recently... thus why I'm opting to just survive w/o a phone till the 24th. I hope they reinstate your eligibility.

21. mbaran macrumors regular

I've been using a BB curve for the last 3 days and when I dial *639# it still tells me i am eligible for an upgrade. I feel like the two aren't related...

22. cbillins Suspended

I just sold my iPhone 3GS today and went out and bought a GoPhone. I have been using it and I checked online and everything is still the same. I wonder if you have to use it for a certain amount of time before they get you or if it is just random?

23. cbillins Suspended

*UPDATE*

I went ahead and called AT&T customer service and asked about switching to a GoPhone for a little bit and she said they would NOT take off your data plan or take away your upgrade eligibility :)

24. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Of course AT&T won't drop your data plan. They rather get your extra $30 a month, plus you won't utilize their networks as much on a dumbphone. ;)