If I install iOS 4.1 GM.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrodsep, Sep 2, 2010.

1. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

..will it void my warranty? Can AT&T or Apple know if I have installed it in my phone?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Apple will know as your iPhone won't activate unless its registered as a development device on their servers.

3. jrodsep thread starter macrumors 6502

jrodsep

I was under the impression that the GM version didn't need to have a developer account to activate. That's why I wanted to install.

4. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

Unless they have changed the way they treat GM builds, that shouldn't be an issue. I had 4.0 GM installed on my 3GS prior to the public release of 4.0 and my phone had zero issues.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes they will know, but they don't really check for it. You are fine if you have it and want to installed it go for it. I've done it with friends phone many times before, no issues. (i got a developers certificated, but they didn't).

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I haven't heard that, but I could be completely wrong. My development phone is registered and has 4.1 installed. My personal phone is jailbroken, so no updates for that one.

7. OC513 macrumors 6502

I installed last night on my and the wife's iPhones with zero issues.....works flawlessly.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You can install 4.1 GM no problems. It doesn't check for a dev account. I did this last time with 4.0 GM and had no problems and it updated to the public release fine (it was slightly different as it no longer had Game Center).

9. slicecom macrumors 68020

No it won't void the warranty and yes it will work fine. I've installed the GM of most of the major updates before it was released to the public with no issues. If you're jailbroken, then don't do it, otherwise you should be fine.

10. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Not a true statement

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I have an iPhone 3G sitting on my desk that I use as a back up or to practice jailbreaking. Anyways, last night I installed the 4.1 GM version and it installed without a problem. iTunes said that it needs to verify the update with Apple, I clicked OK and it took about 30-60 seconds to verify, then I got another pop up saying that it has been verified, now installing.

12. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I'm just gonna wait until iTunes delivers it to me. Only gonna be a week or so. If it was longer I might consider it.

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

this GM version is going to be the exact same update that will be released next week, its just that Apple gives it to developers a week in advance so that they can test out their apps to make sure their running properly.

it's safe to install.

14. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Technically it's to give to the telco networks to test on their networks, but the only change at this point would be if there was a show stopping bug such as it took down every cell tower it connected to.

Phazer

15. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That is true when they introduce a new baseband, for OS Features is more about the Developer than the telcos...but the bottom line is that it is safe to install if you have access to it and don't care about jailbreak.

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - a baseband issue like that is extremely, extremely unlikely, particularily with a relatively minor update like this, and it's perfectly safe to install.

Phazer

17. RickM21 macrumors newbie

What do I need to do if I'm Jailbroken? I dont really care if I lose the Jailbreak cause the Proximity Sensor issue is killing me... Can I just upgrade it to 4.1 without restoring and then the 4.1 update will remove my JB? or do I need to restore to a previous backup (non-jailbroken) before updating?

Thanks guys

18. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Anybody can install 4.1 on their iPhone now, the GM is not locked to a dev account. This is 100% true. If you should drop or break or something else goes wrong your iPhone during the time between now and the public release of ios4.1 you will have voided your warranty by installing this GM. Although it may be the same build as the public release, it is not official software, so the warranty is technically voided.
    Apples instore software will identify it as a GM. Even developers cannot bring a device into a store if something fails during the first year of its life, if the software is developer only. Same rule, void is warranted.

BUT, if you install this and you feel you will not be making a trip to an Apple Store for any issues then this is great! Install it. Next week you can download the new file and use iTunes to update in the same way you installed is GM.
    This will make it 'official software' and thus warranty is restored to the device, providing all the other rules are observed.

Pheeeewwwwwwwww!

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

Just a note -- while true, remember that this ought to only apply to things going wrong which are caused by the OS. If your charging port quits working or buttons fall off, it'd be difficult for Apple to demonstrate that loading a different OS created that problem.

Way I figure, if I have a problem requiring warranty replacement, either I can revert to a supported OS or it's something that's bricked the device and there's no way anyone at the Genius Bar will know what OS it was running unless I'm dumb enough to tell them. :)

20. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

false

21. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

From Apple if you're a developer.

If you're not, then use google to find it. Posting of links to non-public releases I think is prohibited here.

23. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Exactly! I just downloaded the iOS 4.1 GM and my iphone is working fine.