If i install iOS 4.1 that i downloaded

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silva78644, Sep 3, 2010.

1. silva78644 macrumors member

is their a possibiliy of screwing up my phone or no. Im new to this so please be nice. Any help will b greatly appreciated

2. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

You'll be fine. Update and enjoy 4.1 GM

Add me on GameCenter when your done. :D

3. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I'm about to install it as well. I'm testing apps for a developer so my iPhone is registered. I didn't know how to download iOS 4.1 since I'm not a developer myself so I found the ipsw file.

Can somebody please confirm the size of the ipsw file so I know I'm not installing some sort of spyware/malware?

4. celticpride678

You'll be fine. Worst case senario is that you restore it and you're back to where you started. If you download the GM, there's nothing that can go wrong.

5. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Thanks. I'm really desperate to get a stable iOS. My 3G became nearly unusable and it's how I conduct my business. I was on the verge of losing it!! lol

My only concern, as I've said above is that somebody may be distributing an altered version of iOS 4.1 with malevolent code. Since I've heard nothing about such things, I'm going ahead with the install. Crossing my fingers.

6. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

So I installed 4.1 and my iPhone 3G is zipping along as good or better than the latest iOS3 version. :D Wow... no more sticky keys, no more lag in typing, no more stuttering. It looks like they fixed whatever was wrong.

Which begs the question: Why didn't they get it right the first time?? It's as if they didn't test iOS4 on the 3G at all.

Anyway, I'm wondering how to get GameCenter.... It's not on any of my screens.

7. celticpride678

The iPhone 3G does not support Game Center anymore. It is weird however, since the second-generation iPod touch does support Game Center in iOS 4.1 GM

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iTunes won't update an iPhone with a IPSW with malicious code unless the iDevice has been Pwned and the IPSW has been jailbroken. You're safe as neither has happened yet on the iOS 4.1 GM.

9. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

hahahah! You're kidding! That's funny. I understand Multitasking and even home screen wallpaper... but a low power app like GameCenter? Oh well... I'm just happy my iPhone works again.

Thanks for the advice guys.

10. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

We dont have to be on the developers list to install the 4.1 GM correct?

11. silva78644 thread starter macrumors member

i tried to install by clicking shift and clicking restore but when i went to the folder where i unzipped the ipsw file its not in there/ can someone help

12. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Why not play safe and wait four days till wednesday and Apple release of 4.1. It's not as if people are being asked to wait months. Don't get me wrong, i'm as anxious as anyone to get bluetooth and proximity sensor fixed

13. shandyman Suspended

you don't unzip the IPSW file, you point itunes to the IPSW file itself.

14. silva78644 thread starter macrumors member

ok, i had got a bunch of winrar fileswhen i downloaded it