Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Hello, I have a few questions about Jailbreaking a ATV ( I have a ATV 2 and a ATV 3 )

Before i start looking in to doing it, I want to make sure that i will be able to do certain things with the ATV once i jailbreak it. I understand jailbreaking the ATV will give people features that Apple does not offer or allow? So with that said, Could anyone confirm if i Jailbreak my ATV2 or ATV3 will it be able to do anything listed below?

Really, There are only 3 things i am interested in having my ATV do and if i still cannot do any of the 3 after a Jailbreak, Then i probably won't even bother with doing it.

1) Are there any ATV apps or anything that will allow me to stream content from my Android device to my ATV once i jailbreak it? Kind of like how AirPlay works on the iPhone and how i can send movies, pics, etc to my ATV i am looking to do the same but with my Android to ATV.

2) Is it possible to play Amazon Prime movies once i Jailbreak? or is that still not possible regardless of if its jailbroken? This is the ONLY reason i still own my Roku.

3) I have all my movies in M4V/MP4 format in iTunes so i can watch them with my ATV, If i jailbreak, Will my ATV allow other formats other then M4V/MP4? and will i be able to stream movies in other formats from my iMac to my ATV? Its tiring to always have to use Handbrake to convert movies to M4V/MP4 so that i can import them into iTunes and am able to watch them on my ATV

Thanks for your help!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Yes

Yes

Yes

You need to install XBMC on the ATV

Question is if you can jailbreak your ATV. Only certain firmware on the ATV2 can be jailbroken. The ATV3 cannot be jailbroken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.