If I just bought a new MBPro 15" on Saturday

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GregGebhardt, Apr 11, 2010.

1. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

will the store allow me to return/trade it for one of the new units due on Tuesday? I have spent a good bit of time getting it all set up but it sounds like the new unit with i7 processor will be worth it.

ALSO, I installed a new copy of Win7 Pro, I do not surpose that MS would allow me a second install on the new laptop would they?

Any help with the above would be great!:eek:

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

You have 14 days to return the machine. As far as your setup goes, why not getting an external drive so that you could do a time machine backup? When you get your new MBP, you can just restore from the external drive. You could also do the same by backing up your HD image to an external drive using SuperDuper!, but you already have the Time Machine software on your MBP, so why not use it.

3. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

MS will let you reinstall a new copy, you probably have to call them though. Before you take back your Mbp just delete the partition. When you call microsoft just tell them, you had to reformat your drive, and the last instal you have from that disk is deleted. Normally, they are really good about this, but you may spend a few hours on the phone. (i haven't dealt with them forever, so i'm not sure about how long the phone call takes.)

Not sure, about the return policy. Everyone says something different. It seems from all the threads i've read about this, it basically depends on the manager you get. They will let you return it for a restocking fee for sure, but waiving the restocking fee is the managers discrition i believe

4. Tanegashima macrumors 6502

Yes, MS should allow it...

Return it!

5. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

I heard that the Apple stores have a 30-day upgrade guarantee (If the new models release within 30 days of your purchase you can exchange the one you bought for one of the same price point (or I'd imagine you could further upgrade if you payed the difference)), but I've never personally dealt with it.

It's worth a shot, though.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

Printed on every receipt from the Apple Store, under every product on the receipt, is the max return date and the restock fee (if there is one).

With the exception of Bose products and iPhones, Apple Stores give 14 days to return a product. Bose/iPhones get 30 days.

Managers can overrride this policy, but they're not required or obligated to.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's about 5 minutes and the only question they ask you is "How many computers do you have installed with the copy of the Windows?" to which you reply, "Just one."

8. Labaguette macrumors regular

what the heck is this windows thingy about? A retail Windows XP Home can be installed up to 7 (SEVEN!) times and activated without ever calling Microsoft - should be the same with Windows 7?

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They made me call them when I tried to activate my copy a second time when installing on the same computer (as I had to reinstall it).

10. GregGebhardt thread starter macrumors 6502

That might be the way things work in "Good Ole Germany", but here in the USA the software is for a single installation. MS wants you to buy a separate "thingy" for EACH computer!:eek:

I have been asked to call to explain before, too.:eek: