If i lost all installed apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ConnYoungy, Mar 11, 2011.

1. ConnYoungy macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before, i didn't know what to do a search for specifically and theres a lot of threads to go through individually haha.

I wondered if someone could advise me, pretty soon im making the move from Windows to Mac, and my biggest concern is Apple's intention to totally move from physical CD software to the Mac App Store entirely. My worry is that if, for whatever reason, i lose all my digitally bought apps (hard drive failure or anything else), what is the process of getting them all back?

and also do you get an "install" file like you do in windows (eugh!) to reinstall from?

Hope that made sense hehee

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You can simply re-download the apps from the App Store - once you are logged in you will see a list of purchased apps and you simply download them from there (no extra charge)

3. ConnYoungy thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

One more thing...

You will want to use Time Machine to back up your Mac to any hard drive attached to your computer... or ideally your network. It will incrementally back up your computer every hour when you are home.

If you were (as an example).. to accidentally drop your notebook into an incinerator... you would simply go to the Apple Store, buy a replacement machine... go home and during the first few clicks... specify to restore from your time capsule. An hour or so later, everything would be restored and you will have an identical machine... down to every setting.

/Jim