If i open my iphone i cant return it,please help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by al82, Aug 17, 2008.

1. al82 macrumors regular

Hi

If i open the box i cant return it.

I got the iphone assuming i could some things as standard without any additional costs but i am not too sure now.

I know nothing about mobile me and Microsoft exchange, with an exam in a few days im swamped and was wondering if someone could help me out with a few answers:

1-Do i need to sign up to mobile exchange if i want my hotmail account to forard me new emails to my iphone? if so how much is the program

2-Do i need any additional programs for my iphone to sync with ical on my macbook when i connect the two together?

3-Is there a free version of messenger for the iphone?

4-Do i have to upgrade my hotmail account to have push email?

Thank you in advance

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Why can't you return it if you open it? Apple has a 14 day return policy on everything, and if you are in the US AT&T has a 30 day return policy.

Also, in the time it took you to type this thread you could have used the search button and found every single answer.

3. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Why would you buy something without doing your homework first? I guess this is that attempt to do that homework but damn lazy ass...It amazes me that people can spend so much without even doing any research first or that people just expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. It's very difficult to use the search function or even google. These interwebs are so complicated these days.

You CAN return the phone within 30 days - box open or not, in fact they open the box at the apple store.

Answers to your questions:

1-Do i need to sign up to mobile exchange if i want my hotmail account to forard me new emails to my iphone? if so how much is the program

Search

2-Do i need any additional programs for my iphone to sync with ical on my macbook when i connect the two together?

Search

Search (in app store)

Search

Why pose questions like these when you are swamped in the first place...you obviously have time to troll forums so you aren't THAT swamped. None of these questions are anything that couldn't wait to be answered till after your exam and they can ALL be readily answered through searching these forums, google, apple, or itunes. I mean if you are really swamped you aren't going to be out buying an iphone until after your exam anyway right?

Rant over...

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That was a great reply!

Understanding that these are sold all over the world from various sources including grey and aftermarket, at the US AT&T store they had to open it and activate. Before he did so the rep told me that by him opening it I would be subject to a restocking fee. Normally I avoid purchasing where there is a restocking fee, but this is an iPhone. :D

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

So you say he told you that by him opening it, you would be subject to the restocking fee?

I thought they wouldn't be able to charge a restocking fee since the box has to be opened to activate the phone to begin with.

6. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

I cant return it once opened because those are the terms of the car phone warehouse here in the UK. I didn't go out an buy it in a store because i was too busy. I was under the clear ILLUSION that i could come to a help section and ask for help.

As for you comment of me being a "damn lazy ass," if you must know i am working a full-time job, looking after 2 children while their dad is in hospital of prostate cancer and have university work due also. So maybe you should shut that mouth of yours and not assume things you ignorant fool.

As for not doing my research i assumed firstly that the iphone would be able to do all the things my blackberry could and did not think there may be issues in synching.

As for the so helpful comments, such as:

"1-Do i need to sign up to mobile exchange if i want my hotmail account to forard me new emails to my iphone? if so how much is the program

Search

Search

Search (in app store)

Search"

I asked on a HELP fourum was because i needed help.

HEAVEN FORBID THERE IS SOMEONE ON HERE WITHOUT THE SAME LEVEL OF KNOWLEDGE OF ELECTRONICS AS THE REST OF YOU PEOPLE.
    If everyone done research to find the answers to the questions would a help section even exists?

Funny how when i got a Macbook Air on day of release everyone was typing things like "can you try this" and "can you run activity centre and check the cores" and stupid old me spent the time to actually do it. At the time i didn't have exams, i wasn't looking after someone elses children or working full time, so i spent the time to answer other peoples questions for them. Next time I will gladly write DO YOUR RESEARCH.

7. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

1. Hotmail: You can't use Exchange to access your regular Hotmail account. What you can do is the same think I did. Upgrade to the paid Hotmail ($20/year) and set up a POP access for your Hotmail account on the iPhone. This is not push capable and you can only access your inbox. But it's the only thing you can do so far. Hotmail doesn't support IMAP.

2. You don't need any additional programs to sync your iPhone with a Mac. But you must have Tiger or Leopard as the OS.

3. Currently there is no MSN for the iPhone. Fring is currently working on bringing their App over to 2.0. So far they can't tell when it will be ready. But to use Fring, you need to jailbreak your iPhone.

4. see 1.

Once you have a paid Hotmail account, you can install a plugin to use Apple's Mail to access your email. The plugin will synchronise all folders with your Mac.

http://www.automagic-software.com/downloads.php

8. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

9. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Do you want to take his exam for him too?? Jeez!!!

10. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Sounds good to me - doing the research is more rewarding especially when the questions are so basic its laughable. Again if you are so busy maybe your iphone lust can wait until things quiet down for you a bit...

11. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

By the way - Palringo and Mobilechat both support MSN. Palringo is free, Mobilechat is $2,99.

See I answered one for the OP AND I formatted the currency in that annoying Euro format!!

12. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I stand by my answer. In the time it took you to write this post and the original you could have found your answers.

Also, its not ok to come to a forum, not search, then expect everyone to just be cheery with you, sorry dude, welcome to Teh Interwebz...

Did you ever think about the people who post on here trying to be helpful? Maybe you should look at it from that standpoint. We take time out of our day to come here and try to be helpful to people with issues, but instead our time is taken up answering the same basic questions over and over again because people won't search the forums.

Simple solution for you -> Open the thing, try it out for a while, if you don't like it sell it on Ebay. Then, make a note to research major purchases in the future so that you know what you are getting (major purchase = House, Car, Expensive electronics, etc etc etc).

13. Nickb macrumors regular

Fellers come one, chill out - hes only asking a few questions, bloody hell.

your giving the forum a bad rep when you do that you know, why cant you just say things in a polite manner, really ....... even if the answers can be found easily, you dont have to put him down like that do you?! you should treat people how you wish to be treated yourself, and if your happy people talking to you like **** all the time then carry on.

To the OP, i hope you are happy with the iphone, and besides some of the comments above, these forums are very useful, and if you do get stuck a quick search can be rewarding, but sometimes you cant find what you are looking for ....

How come you didnt buy it at the o2 store? when you say return, do you mean for a full refund, or to exchange?

hope all your questions are answered, if not try a quick search, and if you dont find what you are looking for dont be put off starting a thread - not everyone on here are small minded. :)

14. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you Nickb for you comments.

I got it from carphonewarehouse.com as I didn't have the time to go to an o2 store. The last time i walked by my local o2 store they had none in. Car phone warehouse deliver next day so it saves time.

By returning it i mean refund, they have a policy of opening the box of the phone is agreeing to the 18 month contract and once open can not be returned.

Main problem i was having was understanding how push mail works. I thought if i signed up to msn premium it would push email to the phone but it doesn't, Thank you to the person who answered that on here.

Most people on here are helpful, i guess they get a lot of people who just can't be bothered coming on here and asking because they can't be bothered.

I did try reading a bit on pop3 and tried to understand how push mail works but couldn't get my head around it too well.

Thank you to all the people that helped and to the people that pmed me helpful programs i could use, really appreciate it.

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Welcome to the world of support. Support people burn out and new users never stop asking questions. If you can't force yourself to answer yet another "one of my speakers doesn't work" questions, take a deep breath and let someone else have a chance to help. Focus on the hard ones or the ones you are not familiar with. Just a thought.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hey, if you didn't already catch this news from today:
    Hotmail now supports push email, calendar, and contacts with Exchange ActiveSync

By default, once you add this account, it sets a preference to only pull down the last 3 days worth of emails, but you can go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > (your hotmail account) > Mail Days to Sync and change it to something else (like "No Limit"). :)

17. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp