If I order a CTO Macbook Pro today, will it ship with backup discs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BenLeong, Jul 21, 2011.

1. BenLeong macrumors member

From what I understand, if I were to place an order for a Configured to Order Macbook Pro today, its backup abillity wouold probably be confined to one of the following scenarios:

1. It will have a USB key with Lion on it.
    2. It will have a recovery CD with Lion on it.
    3. It won't have any physicak media for recovery because it will have the new Internet Recovery capability that the new Airs and Minis have.
    4. It will have a recovery CD with Snow Leopard on it, even though Lion is preinstalled.
    5. It will have a recovey CD with Snow Leopard on it, and Snow Leopard will b preinstalled on the computer, even though Lion is out,
    6. It won't have any physical media for recovery, and it won't have the new Internet Recovery capability. It will just have Lion installed, and any backup one might want to do will be the responsibility of the owner to figure out.

So which one is it?

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From the Apple Store site:

4. spoccka macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I ordered a CTO MBP yesterday, and they confirmed lion will be preinstalled, so 5 won't happen.

I'm aware how little use that information is to anyone, I'd like to know myself.

EDIT: Just saw the first reply... Im fairly sure I'm right.

5. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

It will ship with Snow Leopard Installed (probably 10.6.6 or 10.6.7), it will come with Snow Leopard recovery discs, and since you can prove that you recently purchased it, you will be eligible to a free upgrade to Lion from the Mac App store to download to your machine.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Why not simply call Apple and ask?

7. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

8. BenLeong thread starter macrumors member

Why would Snow Leopard Be installed on a new built to order MBP? Wouldn't Lion? would Apple really build and ship a new computer now that has a outdated OS? Seems to me like Lion would be installed if it was a fresh build. I can understand if it was a model from their old inventory, but with it being w cutom build, that shouldn't be the case, right?

And if Lion was intalled on the new build, why would there be Snow Leopard discs in the box? Seems sloppy to me.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Lion is buggy at best, if I were you, I'd be happy to be getting Snow Leopard which is known to work very well on the current hardware.

It is in no way shape or form sloppy, I'm pretty sure Apple has the hard disk formatted and OS X installed before they even get inserted into the computer, which means they've still got quite a bit laying around with Snow Leopard installed on them. Which also means, unpacking, upgrading them all and repacking them would cost them a tremendous amount of time and money.

I don't see what you're complaining about.

10. BenLeong thread starter macrumors member

So, in two, three months, if someone were to get a CTO MBP, this would surely be enough time for Apple to be having Lion preinstalled on all orders. What then? You think they would still include Snow Leopard discs? If they did, THAT'S the part that wouold seem sloppy to me... to have one operating system installed on a new machine and and a different operating system on inckuded backup discs.