If I order through an Att 2 year contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mobutt, Sep 21, 2014.

1. mobutt macrumors 6502

For in store pick up but then want to switch it to next when I get there,can the apple store do that for me?

2. mobutt thread starter macrumors 6502

3. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

i don't believe so, I think you have to return and reorder

4. AppleMomma111 macrumors regular

AppleMomma111

I spent 2 hours at the Apple store Friday night, 30 minutes was in line to get into store. Our phones were delivered earlier in the day. We pre-ordered through Apple on 2 yr contract. 2 nights before delivery I get the text from att that our mobile share would go up $25 a line. So I spoke with ATT and Apple on Thurs and everyone said I could change to the Next plan. We decided we wanted to change to Next since our 6 plus would only be about $15 more a month than what our new rate mobile share would be plus we would get our $800 back. Both Att and Apple said yes but weren't exactly sure how it would actually work and said I would have to wait until I have the phones the next day.

We didn't even turn the phones on and headed to the mall where both Att and Apple stores are. We decided to try ATT first since Apple said something about having to wait a few hours for us to show eligible for Next after returning the contract. SO we figured Att might be able to override it or get it done faster. They weren't even too sure, as we waited in line outside of ATT the person was going down the line seeing what everyone was there for, we explained to her our situation she had to go back in the store and talk to other employee, she didn't even seem certain but said something about an $800 account credit since we actually bought through Apple. So we said decided to head to Apple.

Basically Apple was extremely busy obviously and they had att reps in store. The store employee kept having to relay info from another employee and the att rep and said we could do the change and it would have to be a return to get our $800 back, then repurchase under Next, he said the ATT server was running 2 hours behind so there would be a wait (which I'd be fine with) but heres the kicker, he says we wouldn't be able to buy back our phones in our hands because once they "return" phones they have to take them to be sent wherever. And of course the 6 plus is a month backordered so we're just SOL because they can't just let us rebuy our phones right there that I got up at 3 am and checked out for an hour for. I was really tired of waiting so we activated our phones while we were in there and I decided I would try again this week when a all the madness has died down.Plus maybe it would give time for others to have wanted to do the same thing. It seemed like Apple and ATT both really weren't too sure.

Anyhow I feel like this should be able to be overridden or made an exception due to the backorder of 6 plus, which isn't going to be available within the 14 day return/contract change period. Perhaps ATT can extend the exchange period or something. I'm trying to find someone who has also been in this situation or had success in switching.