If I Order Verizon iPhone, When is My AT&T Contract Canceled!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Feb 8, 2011.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I'm leaving the country on the 10th and need to make sure my AT&T iPhone works until I get back. If I pre-order the Verizon iPhone at 3am tomorrow morning, at what point is my AT&T contract over and my phone dead? Is it after I activate the Verizon iPhone, as soon as I complete the form during my order or at another point? I want to keep my AT&T service active until I get back from vacation. Thanks.

2. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Iphone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just order new service on the Verizon iPhone and than when you get back transfer your number and close the ATT account.

3. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure what you mean. When I fill out the form at 3am isn't it going to ask me if I'm transferring a number? I just need to know at what point the AT&T iPhone will stop working.

4. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Technically, the at&t phone will work until you activate the Verizon one, which completes the number porting. How long are you leaving the country for? I think there is a 10 day window for number porting.

Note: it doesn't always work like this though, so I would call and ask one of the telcos.

5. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

When I bought the AT&T iPhone and switched from Verizon, I was able to port the number later. I.e., I bought the iPhone at the Apple Store, was assigned a new number, then took the phone to an AT&T store, and completed the port then - which immediately cancels your previous account/contract.