If I preorder the Verizon iPhone X and pay in full. Do I still have to pay extra fees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I don’t want to set up the phone right away. I just want to pay the $999 and wait for it to ship home. I don’t want to pay activation fees or anything.
I already have a service line but I am not ready to transfer my number yet.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I don’t want to set up the phone right away. I just want to pay the $999 and wait for it to ship home. I don’t want to pay activation fees or anything.
I already have a service line but I am not ready to transfer my number yet.
If you are paying full retail for the phone purchased from apple.com, there are no fees from Verizon. If you already have a Verizon line, you simply put your current SIM card in the new phone when you receive it. You can keep the SIM card that ships with the phone as a back up.

If your current phone doesn't use a nano SIM, then you can log online and activate the nano SIM card that ships with the iPX yourself or have a chat rep do it by giving them the IMEI of the phone and the SIM card number. There is no fee for this.
[doublepost=1508993150][/doublepost]
If you buy the pone outright I don’t believe there are any fees if you swap the SIM card over to the new phone.
Correct. There are no fees to activate the SIM that ships with the phone either. You can do it yourself online or have a chat or phone rep do it for you by giving them the IMEI and SIM card numbers. There are no fees to do this.

krishmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
Since there isn't an X with sim-free, you will be forced to buy a carrier version and you will have to pay the onetime bogus upgrade fee.

Reactions: geoff5093

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Since there isn't an X with sim-free, you will be forced to buy a carrier version and you will have to pay the onetime bogus upgrade fee.
Not if you pay full retail. Verizon only charges the upgrade fee if you join the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program. But if you buy a Verizon iPhone X full retail from Apple, there is no upgrade fee charged by verizon.

If you pay full retail and buy from Verizon, they do charge you the upgrade fee. But not if you pay full retail from apple.com or even best buy.

Reactions: Bako-MacAddict

xyq204101

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
Not if you pay full retail. Verizon only charges the upgrade fee if you join the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program. But if you buy a Verizon iPhone X full retail from Apple, there is no upgrade fee charged by verizon.

If you pay full retail and buy from Verizon, they do charge you the upgrade fee. But not if you pay full retail from apple.com or even best buy.
If you go to apple.com and buy Verizon iPhone8, it shows $30 upgrade fee there

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
If you go to apple.com and buy Verizon iPhone8, it shows $30 upgrade fee there
Verizon always charges an upgrade fee if you get a Verizon-financed iPhone no matter where you buy it from. Verizon will also charge you the upgrade fee if you buy an iPhone on the AiUP financed by Citizens.

But if you are paying full retail for a Verizon iPhone and buying from Apple, there is no upgrade fee. So select the Pay in Full One Time Payment Option.

krishmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010

Are you sure about that? I just did the trail for 8+ on apple with pay in full and after adding the phone to the bag, it said I will be charged $30 for one time activation by Verizon.

https://screenshots.firefox.com/pxPG731pxINMW6Xk/www.apple.com
ETA: sorry couldn't figure out how to post the image. Hence the link...

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2011
If you are paying full retail for the phone purchased from apple.com, there are no fees from Verizon. If you already have a Verizon line, you simply put your current SIM card in the new phone when you receive it. You can keep the SIM card that ships with the phone as a back up.

If your current phone doesn't use a nano SIM, then you can log online and activate the nano SIM card that ships with the iPX yourself or have a chat rep do it by giving them the IMEI of the phone and the SIM card number. There is no fee for this.
[doublepost=1508993150][/doublepost]
Correct. There are no fees to activate the SIM that ships with the phone either. You can do it yourself online or have a chat or phone rep do it for you by giving them the IMEI and SIM card numbers. There are no fees to do this.
This is exactly the kind of info I’m looking for.

In my situation, I’ll be replacing my iPhone 7 with the X. Pre-ordering and buying outright, full price.

My mom has an iPhone 6 on our Verizon family plan. I’m going to give her my 7 since I paid practically nothing for it (thanks to last year’s $650 trade-in deal)

So is it as simple as just swapping SIM cards? Like:
- Take my 7 card out and put it in the X
- Take her 6 card out and put it in the 7
- Then reformat and restore from iCloud backup to get all of her apps loaded?

Is that it? No calling or activation required, anything like that?

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Are you sure about that? I just did the trail for 8+ on apple with pay in full and after adding the phone to the bag, it said I will be charged $30 for one time activation by Verizon.

https://screenshots.firefox.com/pxPG731pxINMW6Xk/www.apple.com
ETA: sorry couldn't figure out how to post the image. Hence the link...
I am sure about that. Apple's site erroneously is showing you an upgrade fee but Verizon will never charge you that because since you are paying full retail, Verizon has no idea you even bought the phone. The only reason you get charged the upgrade fee with AiUP is because Apple queries Verizon's internal credit database as part of the credit check so Verizon charges you the upgrade fee as compensation for that credit check. And if you get a Verizon-financed iPhone, same thing.

But full retail purchases do not result in a query of Verizon's internal credit database and Verizon never even knows you are purchasing the phone.
[doublepost=1508994309][/doublepost]
So is it as simple as just swapping SIM cards?
Yes.

krishmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
I am sure about that. Apple's site erroneously is showing you an upgrade fee but Verizon will never charge you that because since you are paying full retail, Verizon has no idea you even bought the phone. The only reason you get charged the upgrade fee with AiUP is because Apple queries Verizon's internal credit database as part of the credit check so Verizon charges you the upgrade fee as compensation for that credit check. And if you get a Verizon-financed iPhone, same thing.

But full retail purchases do not result in a query of Verizon's internal credit database and Verizon never even knows you are purchasing the phone.
Make sense what you saying, but we need more data...
Also, on Apple when you go thru phone trial, choosing Verizon, they ask for account details, even when you choose one time payment.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Like:
- Take my 7 card out and put it in the X
- Take her 6 card out and put it in the 7
- Then reformat and restore from iCloud backup to get all of her apps loaded?
First I would back up both the iP7 and the iP6 to iTunes or iCloud (I do both). Then put the iP7 SIM card in the iPx and activate the iPX using the iP7's backup (iTunes is the fastest way to do this). Then once you are sure that all of your stuff has transferred, factory reset the iP7, put the iP6 SIM card in it and activate the iP7 using the iP6's back up.

Then you can factory reset the iP6 and sell it or keep it as a backup device.
[doublepost=1508994533][/doublepost]
Make sense what you saying, but we need more data...
No we don't. You can read this forum and find the posts. No upgrade fee for full retail purchases from apple stores or apple.com.
[doublepost=1508994633][/doublepost]
they ask for account details, even when you choose one time payment.
Yep. That is because whenever you buy a carrier model from apple.com you have to give your account details. Doesn't mean they are doing a credit check on you (they aren't when you pay full retail of course). Verizon only charges the upgrade fee when Apple needs to check Verizon's internal credit database. So if you are getting a Verizon-financed or an AiUP phone you get charged the upgrade fee.

Last edited:

riverfreak

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Bangkok

[doublepost=1508994309][/doublepost]
Yes.
Wait. This doesn’t add up. Verizon knows you’ve added a new phone, even if it’s a replacement on the same line. The may not know how or where you bought it, but they certainly know you are trying to activate it. That Verizon charges you an upgrade fee when Apple needs to check Verizon’s “internal credit database” makes absolutely zero sense. If they’re doing a credit check, they’re using one of the big agencies.

Here’s what Verizon actually has to say about the upgrade fee:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/upgrade-fee-faqs/

“You will be charged a $30 upgrade fee if you purchase a new device at retail price or through the device payment program.”

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Verizon knows you’ve added a new phone, even if it’s a replacement on the same line.
Yes of course and you don't get charged to activate a different phone on your line. EVER.

You get charged when you finance a phone through Verizon or through Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program (due to them accessing Verizon's internal database) or if you buy a phone full retail through Verizon. And of course if you buy on 2 year contract but those aren't available to consumer accounts any longer.

The only time you get charged when you buy from Apple is if you buy a Verizon financed phone or a phone on the AiUP.
[doublepost=1509003454][/doublepost]
“You will be charged a $30 upgrade fee if you purchase a new device at retail price or through the device payment program.”
Go back and re-read my posts. I said if you buy it full retail from Verizon you will get charged the upgrade fee. But not from Apple or Best Buy or Target or anywhere other than Verizon. The only time you get charged the upgrade fee is when you buy a phone:

1) financed through Verizon on a Verizon DPP (no matter where you buy it from);

2) full retail from Verizon;

3) financed through Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program; or

4) subsidized on 2 year contract (for business accounts only).

If you buy a phone full retail from anywhere other than Verizon, it is considered Customer Provided Equipment.

I am 100% correct on this. No one knows more about Verizon here than me including anyone claiming to a Verizon rep.
[doublepost=1509003655][/doublepost]
That Verizon charges you an upgrade fee when Apple needs to check Verizon’s “internal credit database” makes absolutely zero sense. If they’re doing a credit check, they’re using one of the big agencies.
They do BOTH for the AiUP when you initially join. They check both an external credit agency and check Verizon's internal database, hence the upgrade fee charged by Verizon. They only do a hard pull when you initially enroll in the AiUP. When you trade in after 12 payments, they don't do a hard pull but they still query Verizon's internal credit database so you get charged when you do the trade in too.

Last edited:

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Yes of course and you don't get charged to activate a different phone on your line. EVER.

You get charged when you finance a phone through Verizon or through Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program (due to them accessing Verizon's internal database) or if you buy a phone full retail through Verizon. And of course if you buy on 2 year contract but those aren't available to consumer accounts any longer.

The only time you get charged when you buy from Apple is if you buy a Verizon financed phone or a phone on the AiUP.
Go back and re-read my posts. I said if you buy it full retail from Verizon you will get charged the upgrade fee. But not from Apple or Best Buy or Target or anywhere other than Verizon. The only time you get charged the upgrade fee is when you buy a phone:

If you buy a phone full retail from anywhere other than Verizon, it is considered Customer Provided Equipment.

I am 100% correct on this. No one knows more about Verizon here than me including anyone claiming to a Verizon rep.
They do BOTH for the AiUP when you initially join. They check both an external credit agency and check Verizon's internal database, hence the upgrade fee charged by Verizon. They only do a hard pull when you initially enroll in the AiUP. When you trade in after 12 payments, they don't do a hard pull but they still query Verizon's internal credit database so you get charged when you do the trade in too.
What happens if my line is past due? Like it’s 3-5 weeks past due of service payments.
( I could pay it on time but I am just waiting for next month to do so because of personal reasons. But I wonder what would happen

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
What happens if my line is past due? Like it’s 3-5 weeks past due of service payments.
( I could pay it on time but I am just waiting for next month to do so because of personal reasons. But I wonder what would happen
Verizon is pretty quick to suspend service so I wouldn't let it go on too long. I would at least call them to make payment arrangements. If you don't do that and if you are 5 weeks past due, I think you are going to find they suspend your service here pretty soon.

If you are past due and order through Verizon directly, the order will likely be canceled if it goes through at all and for sure won't ship if your line is suspended when they go to charge your credit card. I am not sure what will happen if you order through Apple.

u9721510

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
I just spent half an hour with a Verizon sales person asking about this very matter.

Basically I am on AT&T (no contract) but want a Verizon phone so I can switch to my wife's Verizon plan next year. I will be ordering the phone on her Verizon account through the Apple website (she has no contract). The sales guy said the upgrade fee will appear on her next phone bill, the fee is always added on, even if you pay full price. He said you can call and have it removed if you don't activate the phone, which is what I intend to do. Seems crazy to me.

He said the phone is no way tied to any account, which was a concern of mine.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
The sales guy said the upgrade fee will appear on her next phone bill
Only if you get a Verizon financed phone or a phone financed through AiUP.

the fee is always added on, even if you pay full price.
As you will quickly find out when you move to Verizon, Verizon phone and chat reps are wrong 50% of the time. You are as likely to get a wrong answer from them as a right answer. They aren't even Verizon employees, they work for call centers that Verizon contracts with.

If you pay full retail for a phone and buy it anywhere other than from Verizon directly, no upgrade fee will be charged. If you purchase it full retail from Verizon directly, you do get charged the upgrade fee.

He said you can call and have it removed if you don't activate the phone, which is what I intend to do. Seems crazy to me.
No, that isn't how it works. If you finance the phone through Verizon no matter where you buy it from there is an upgrade fee and whether or not you activate the phone is irrelevant, you get charged the upgrade fee anyhow. Same if you finance the phone through AiUP - it doesn't matter if you activate the phone on the Verizon line it was ordered on or not, the Verizon line it was ordered on gets charged the upgrade fee.

Whether you can call to get a rep to waive an upgrade fee is YMMV. I have gotten it before but I am a long time Verizon customer.

He said the phone is no way tied to any account, which was a concern of mine.
If you finance the phone on a Verizon DPP, the SIM that ships with the phone will be pre-activated for the line it was ordered on. So the rep you spoke to didn't get anything correct, lol!

kingneptune117

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2014
I'm not sure why everyone thinks that you need to swap SIM cards when you get your X. I have Verizon as well, and Apple told me that the phone will come ready for me to use. All I have to do is turn it on and it will register as my active device with Verizon - no SIM card swapping needed.

u9721510

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
I appreciate the advice. I am paying full price up front and will use my wife's Verizon login details, then put my AT&T sim in there. Hopefully there will be no upgrade charges! Thanks

riverfreak

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Bangkok

Hello Mr Verizon. I know that you are 100% correct and that nobody here knows more about Verizon than you do, apparently including Apple and Verizon.

Can you call Verizon for me and have them remove the upgrade fee for this phone that I purchased through Apple at full price as Customer Provided Equipment?

K thx bai

Attachments

Reactions: jhearty99

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I see the same thing on my order. I’m too lazy to go back and look if to see if I paid any fees when I bought my 6S+ outright. I’m pretty sure I didn’t

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
You will get charged a $30 upgrade fee if you run the order through your Verizon account in any way (including logging into it from Apple store to pay full price). Just use the online chat and ask them to waive the $30 fee. Many people have reported success and they did it for me with no issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.