If I preordered with Apple Store can I pay now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidlw, Jun 13, 2009.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to pay for a phone that I pre-ordered via the local Apple Store. All I got was a email confirming that I had pre-ordered. I would like to pay now so that it will save time and assure me of getting a phone.

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Only AT&T is offering this option (and ordering today, you may not get it on the 19th).

3. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I do not think so, because the pre-order for the Apple Store iPhones are not reserved and are first-come, first-serve.

4. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

It sounds like you just reserved one and didn't actually pre-order it. To pay for it you have to actually pre-order it.

5. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I wish they would change the "reserve" wording from the site. You are not reserving one, just getting half of the process over with before hand. You get put on a list with the store, but they are not going to hold an iPhone for you.

6. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

So are you saying that I will still have to wait in line and possibly not get a phone? Then what is the reason to pre-order/pre-reserve a phone?

7. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

Yes, you will more than likely have to wait in a pre-order line, and you may end up leaving without an iPhone 3G S, depending on how many pre-orders/regular customers they have and how many phones they get in stock. I have no idea why Apple does this, but AT&T is doing it the correct way, with them actually reserving an iPhone with your name on it.

8. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

How long you wait in line depends on the store. The point is just to speed up the process. You don't have to wait while they verify everything with AT&T before hand. It makes more sense on regular days when there's not everybody wanting one and you just don't want to be in the store for as long.

You'll be put on a list (I know because I called the store after I changed to have it shipped to me, and they took me off the list), and they may or may not give you priority in line.

The fine print on the website clearly says pre-ordering does not guarantee availability.

9. jmeray macrumors member

jmeray

This is indeed the case.
    If you preorder for a phone to be picked up at the apple store, its really just a "reserve" but its not even that good, cuz its still first come first serve.
    I called apple store and they told me, yeah, its first come first serve, we are not even sure how we will handle the preorders yet, depends on how many phones we have and how many people preordered.

So, I, like others, decided to go the "delivered on June 19" route to have it paid for, and delivered, to my house on June 19. This seemed to be the only way to be certain you would have it. Even the ATT website says "as EARLY as June 19" which means it could be the 19, 20, 21, ....30th, etc.

10. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

It's best to just pre-order and have it shipped out, you can have it ship to your house, job, etc. Do you want to wait in line all day, then find out the color and size you want my be sold out. :(

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

More reason to be first! I need to get some extras from the Apple Store anyway and wanted it in my hands in the morning, so I have no problems waiting in line. Too bad everyone can't do this due to work or other engagements.