If I purchase a MBP in the next 2 months...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TimO16, May 27, 2008.

  1. TimO16 macrumors newbie

    Feb 26, 2008
    Hey guys, first time poster, I just have a few questions...
    I'm a senior in high school, and I'll be going to college in August. I'm definitely looking at a mac laptop for college, and more specifically a baseline pro.

    If I buy it in say, late june, early july, is it foolish? Considering all this talk about a possible refresh right around there, possibly a little after. I really want the newest model going into college. Which kind of leads me to my next question...

    If I do go ahead and buy it around that time, only for one to come out about a month or so after that, what are my options for getting a brand new one? Is there an exchange program for that? Or, if i purchase applecare, will that give me the ability to get the latest and greatest?

    Thanks for your help and advice in advance...
    And what do you think, you like my choice? 15" pro?
  2. GUILTIE macrumors regular

    Jan 2, 2008
    I don't know when the new ones will be out, but I'm looking to get the same Macbook Pro as you. I'd love to have the latest and greatest thing too, but I'm leery of a 1st gen product as Apple's are known to have difficulties. Well not just Apple's, but especially Apple's.
  3. squeeks macrumors 68040


    Jun 19, 2007
    well, first of all if you read the forums a little more you will find all of your answers, but im feeling generous...and bored, so ill answer them all for you

    1) yes there is a possibility of them being refreshed in june/july, will it make much of a difference? not really, they are just going to montevina which isnt THAT big of a jump from santa rose, the big update will be next spring when the new CPUS come out

    2) NO you have 14 days to exchange with restock fee, thats IT


    buy mid july we should know for sure then if they will be updated soon, else itll be sept / oct after the back to school sale/special/thing

    as far as getting a baseline MBP, thats find if you have the money to spend, if you dont HAVE to have the latest greatest, you can get the current model referb for about 500 off
  4. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

    Feb 18, 2008
    whether you buy now or wait, either machine will be more than enough for you...

    foolish? that depends if you have patience and can wait. if you cant, just buy it, and enjoy it until the refresh. Take the 10 minutes to regret your purchase when the refresh comes out, then move on. That laptop is still top notch, and can still meet the needs you placed on it in the first place!

    BUY NOW. cry later :)

    i read today that intels montevina has been delayed until july/aug. You can play the waiting game all you want, but ill be enjoying my 2.4GHZ of creamy goodness, while you sit on a dell (probably)

  5. CafeJJ macrumors newbie

    May 26, 2008
    Hi. I'm a first time poster as well, having started a thread about Time Capsule and whether if it's possible to connect it to a wireless cellular USB modem... I'm still waiting for the first response.

    About your question, I'm in the same boat. I am in the market for a all-new MacBook Pro, but I really need a new computer right now. I almost bought a new MacBook Pro right before they came out with a quicker processor and multi-touch a few months ago. I also considered a new 3.06GHz iMac, but I really need portability. Yet the launch for the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros seem to continue being pushed back. I'll tell you from experience that I purchased the very last of the Titanium PowerBooks in late 2003. It was the Ti PowerBook with the highest 1GHz processor speed, a then improved, brighter screen, a DVI port, built-in AirPort (though not "Extreme"), a then massive 60GB hard drive... the works. But guess what? After a few weeks, the new 12" and 17" all-aluminum PowerBooks came out and I wanted to shoot myself. At least the aluminum 15" direct replacement to my Ti PowerBook, didn't come out until a few months later. Still, I was very, very disappointed, but I really didn't think Apple, (or the Apple reseller I ordered my computer from), would do anything about it... I mean, why would they? So, at the risk of receiving a generic response saying: "well, that's the nature of new technology; sooner or later new PowerBooks were to come out," I just took a deep breath and learned to live with my sudden 'dinosaur' of a Titanium PowerBook. I even remember seeing this five-minute online Apple corporate video where Jonathan Ives and Philip Schiller extolled the virtues of using a titanium alloy: "titanium is a remarkable material, lighter than aluminum, stronger than steel," only to declare aluminum was a much better choice when talking about the all-new PowerBooks on their follow-up online video. I was really fuming.

    Still, you know what, I think it all worked out for the best. (Maybe it's been a five-year denial on my part), but I've always found my Ti PowerBook more esthetically pleasing, with it's two-tone silver/gray colors as well as the dark, yet translucent keyboard, than the all silver replacements that followed. I've always found the Ti PowerBook sleeker and more minimalist, since most of the cable ports are in the back and thus have always kept my desk much tidier from clutter. When no wires are connected, a little flap covers the ports. The newer iBooks/PowerBooks/MacBooks/MacBook Pros that followed all had the ugly exposed ports on the sides, making the machines look like an octopus, depending on what you would attach to their sides. (Of course, having the ports on the sides makes them more accessible and convenient). But hey, what do you know? Now the MacBook Air is back to a silver/gray look with a dark keyboard and incorporates a flap where the ports are hidden until they are needed... in my eyes a kind of more direct evolution from what the Ti PowerBook was all about. Who knows what the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros will look like, but I'm willing to bet they will look somewhat close to the new MacBook Air and to what my trusty old PowerBook looks like. Of course, I know all the modern Apple laptops incorporate too many awesome features I wish mine had. But still, through the years, I've tried to keep up incorporating 1GB of ram, (which is really becoming uncomfortable when running Leopard), a 250GB hd, (from a previous 100GB 7200RPM hd), a two-port, USB 2.0 PC Card adapter, a more modern double-layer Superdrive, a higher capacity, after-market battery, etc. And aside from a little scratch on the top case, I've been able to keep my Ti PowerBook virtually spotless. I've heard aluminum is horrible at attracting dents, (although I have to face the fact that my future MBP will most likely be aluminum).

    My suggestion to you is to wait. Hang in there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you'll be able to exchange a current MacBook Pro that you'd buy with a newer one when they come out. AppleCare won't help you that way either. And believe me, if you buy a new MacBook Pro now and the next generation blows you away, you're going to regret it big time... especially when you know it may be only two or three months away. I didn't have the advantage of having found Apple-rumor websites back in late 2003. In fact, I just skimmed over a new post saying the new Montevina processors would not ship until mid July, so I guess that kills any chance that new MacBook Pros will appear at the June 9th WWDC; but I'll keep reading, of course. If the new MacBook Pros end up being total turkeys, (which I doubt), then you can try and get a discounted current generation MBP. That's what I plan to do... wait it out and see. Then again, the final decision is yours. Good luck!
  6. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

    Feb 18, 2008
    no exchanges, after 14 days.

    If you wanna wait, then wait, but i see no reason in waiting. If you want it, buy it. Use it, enjoy it, and most importantly be happy the 3-4 months it takes for them to release something new anyways.

    I hate waiting. Most ill wait is 1 month. FOR ANYTHING.
  7. dgdosen macrumors 65832


    Dec 13, 2003
    Why worry about that now and just wait to see if Apple releases a new MBP at the WWDC this year. Aren't there rumors of a redesign this year? I think they'd be ready when June 9th rolls around...

Share This Page