Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Okay, here is my scenario/question.

If I have a dozen songs in my iTunes, and sync with iPod, then the dozen songs get put on my iPod. If I rate the songs on iPod, then on next sync, the ratings get copied to iTunes, right?

Well, what if I delete the iTunes songs after, and re-add the songs (same locations, plus a few more songs). Then what will happen to the ratings, for instance? Will the ratings be kept intact when the songs were previously removed? Or are the ratings removed as well?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
No, the ratings will be removed, just as they won't appear the same in iTunes. Unless you bring back the exact same files in which case everything should appear normal.

As far as changing ratings on-the-go, the iPod will just assume you deleted the song, even if there's one of the same name/artist there now. So it'll delete the song, it's ratings/playcount, and then copy the newer file from iTunes.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Exact same files, meaning..?

I will remove, say, a dozen songs from iTunes, then re-add the FOLDER that contains these dozen songs. (The folder will contain some new songs as well, and I find this is the easiest way to add new songs.) So, yes, the (original) songs are the exact same songs :) Does that keep the ratings?

Also, are songs ever copied from iPod -> iTunes, or never?

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Gary King said:
Also, are songs ever copied from iPod -> iTunes, or never?
Never. At least not under the standard arrangement. There are some third party apps that will do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.