If I reinstall Leopard, will my license keys still work?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dishwab, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dishwab macrumors newbie

Ok so first off, the reason I am reinstalling the OS is to run bootcamp. I keep getting the "some files cannot be moved, drive cannot be partitioned" message. I have look around and found that there are 2 solutions to this problem - buy iDefrag or reinstall Leopard. I would rather not spend $35 on a program I'll use once, so I am considering reinstalling.

I have all my files backed up (documents, photos, movies, apps, etc), but manually rather than through time machine or a clone program.

My question is, will programs that I've err, come across (shall we say), like Photoshop CS3, Illustrator, etc. still work? Or will the license keys be reset when I copy them back from my external drive?

Any tips on this would be very appreciated, and I'm sorry if this is inappropriate - if so, please delete Mods.

thanks, Joe

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

They should, if you copy the Application Support folders.

Otherwise you can install them again, you still have the licence keys, don't you?

And wherever you "came across" the software, there you'll find a way too.

3. dishwab thread starter macrumors newbie

I did, I'm not asking how to fix the partitioning problem. The link you provided is exactly where I looked to figure out what I have to do to solve that problem - my question is about something else entirely, which I could not find any other threads about - hence, I created one.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If it's a non-issue don't include it.
    Plenty of threads on migration applications.

CS3 only allows 3 installs unless you reset the registration.

If you backup your files manually, you did not backup the preferences or library files thus your registration will most likely not be copied.

You should have used disk utility to restore your current system, and then use migration assistance to move your apps back (but won't work for certain app's registration data).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.