If I restore from backup my replacement iPhone4 will I reintroduce issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gazmac, Jul 7, 2010.

1. gazmac macrumors member

Got my dodgy iPhone 4 changed at Regent Street Apple store today. Should I set up as new phone or use the backup? Genius in store, after prompting, thought maybe best to start from new. Any ideas anyone out there who has had to get a swap? Will probably restore from backup but will I reintroduce reception and proximity sensor issues?

2. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Well, lets break this down. If restoring from a backup reintroduces proximity and sensor issues, then the problem is software and not hardware. You could have restored your original phone and fixed the problem. If the problem was hardware, restoring from backup shouldn't have any negative effects (assuming the hardware is no longer an issue).

It won't hurt to use the backup and see if the issues are resolved. You can always go back and restore as new.

3. gazmac thread starter macrumors member

The restore I did on the old one didnt fix the proximity sensor problem or the more serious reception and static noise interference issues I had.

The new phone now exhibits none of said problems. Just thought I'd see if anyone else has been faced with the same dilemma during all this friggin iphone4 mess. Read somewhere about the restore risk, and the Apple dude concured. There may have been some sort of corruption of the original factory install contributing to or causing problems. Does seem like mine was a hardware glitch as all is sweet but who knows. Guess I'll do the restore from backup. Just musing aloud before I push the button.

4. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I was wondering the same. I'm restoring from backup and will see if I have issues. I've heard starting anew is best for the battery??

5. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I can attest to this: I had some crazy issues with my 3GS (screen was going blank, strobe light-like flickering of screen) that only seemed to surface after updating to iOS 4. So, I purchased my new iPhone 4, restored from back-up of my 3GS, and guess what...my NEW phone was doing that same crazy *****.

After enough reading through these threads, I read that issues that carry over form one device to another are best dealt with by restoring as new. It is a royal PITA to have to re-customize your settings/preferences and to lose any data that may be stored to your apps (game scores, for example), but hey, at least it solved the issue I was having.

6. yankintx macrumors 6502

I had issues with screen going black, and then exchanged forma new iPhone 4 . I restored from backup, and had same issues. I restored again and did it as a new phone, and added apps one at a time to see how the phone worked. Turns out that the wallpaper app in the app store was crashing my iPhone.
    It's been a week now and no problems. Not all the apps are compatible yet, and the genius bar person said the wallpaper apps that were put before iPhone 4 have been causing problems.