If I restore from Backup, will that restore text messages?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abercrombie, Jul 1, 2009.

1. abercrombie macrumors regular

abercrombie

I want to get back some text messages I accidentally deleted. If I do a restore from the iTunes backup, will that restore my text messages?

My phone is jail broken so I guess I'll have to re-jail break it again?

2. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

dont know anything about JB but a restore from a backup will also bring back texts from when you last backed it up

3. petemwah macrumors regular

it will def restore your text messages, if you're already jailbroken then it's advisable to do a fresh install as some files will be left over, although if you simply restore the backup the phone will run fine... it's just me maybe, i like a fresh install... mmm mmm mmm!

4. abercrombie thread starter macrumors regular

abercrombie

Thanks, another question.

When I connect my iPhone to iTunes won't it sync and clear the previous backup that I want to restore? Or should I go into the iTunes setting and make sure it doesn't Sync before connecting to my computer?

5. psywzrd macrumors 68030

You are correct. Make sure you check off the option that says "Disable automatic syncing for iPhones and iPods" - that way it won't start syncing as soon as you connect it. Once iTunes recognizes that the phone is connected, just right-click on the phone in iTunes and select Restore from backup.

6. petemwah macrumors regular

indeed, an important point to raise! i actually lost a backup in the past through the accidental syncing of my iphone, it's INTEGRAL to MAKE SURE THAT AUTOMATIC BACKUP IS DISABLED.

if you just want to restore the MESSAGES from the iPhone then there is an interesting article at macosxhints. i haven't tried it myself but looks interesting!