If i run windows 7 on parallels and get a virus, does it affect my OSX?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Willyee3, May 3, 2011.

1. Willyee3 macrumors member

Like the topic... i want to put windows on my comp for a few applications and games on windows... im just afraid if i do so... i might get a virus or 2 and somehow affect my comp... im a newbie so im just looking for the advice to set me straight!

thank you all for your input!

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

First of all, don't get your head in a spin about viruses. Get a good anti-virus for Windows 7 and use common sense online and you should be fine.

If your Windows OS does get a virus your Mac OS should be fine. There is little malware for Mac, and no viruses (using a strict definition). Viruses don't tend to break the hardware on a computer!

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A Windows virus can't run on Mac OS X and can't affect your Mac partition, unless you go through several deliberate steps to make that possible (which you're not likely to do). As recommended, use a good anti-virus for Windows and don't worry about Mac OS X. There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

4. Willyee3 thread starter macrumors member