If I sell my iPhone 4, can I suffer any consequences from AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tnisatard, Jun 28, 2010.

1. tnisatard macrumors 6502

So I am planning to sell my iPhone 4 right now, I talked to an AT&T rep and they said that it can cause some red flags on my account if another person not on my account activates the iPhone because of the IMEI number or something

i figured people sell their iPhones all the time so it shouldnt be THAT big of a deal

but anyways, what are your guys' thoughts?

btw, the reason why I am selling is because I preordered my iPhone 4 from AT&T and for some reason, they sent me 2 iPhones both at subsidized prices, so I talked to AT&T and they said think of it as an early Christmas present from AT&T :)

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Big Brother will drop a load on you!
    :apple:
    :eek:

3. Sinfire macrumors regular

If you bought it at the subsidized price, then you have to wait another 2 years or so until you are eligible to buy any phone at the cheaper price. You will have to pay the full price.

4. tnisatard thread starter macrumors 6502

i understand that already

5. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

they could care less if you sell it. They have you for 2 more years. Youre fine, do as you wish.

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

As long as you take full responsibility for the contract (either keeping it or paying all associated fees that might come from canceling), I don't think AT&T can do anything to you. The phone is your property now, not theirs.

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

As long as you find another phone you can slide your micro-SIM into (Use an adapter or something), so you can still get calls.

Other than that, they won't care, it is all really on you, whether you have another phone to use or not.

8. tnisatard thread starter macrumors 6502

thats what I thought

but the customer rep basically said my line could get cancelled which is what I am afraid of, but I just wanted some reassurance

on the side note, I think I made trade my iPhone for an iPad

9. PoppaKap macrumors regular

Can you upgrade a non-iPhone line and sell the i4 without having to keep a data plan on the line? My Dad has a basic phone, and I want upgrade him and have his current phone reactivated with no data.

10. tnisatard thread starter macrumors 6502

im pretty sure you need to keep the data for at least 6 months

but anyways

i know verizon makes people who get smart phones keep the data plan a minimum 6months, and usually AT&T and Verizon copy each others rules, i am not sure if AT&T adopted it, but i believe they should if they dont wanna keep losing money for people who does this