Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedRallyeZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
i have.

I really cant speak to any noticeable difference, but I set it up via the TRIM enabler app.

setup is M4 128GB and stock 1TB drive if that matters.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Probably only if the SSD controller doesn't handle garbage collection on its own. Research on the specific drive should yield results.

Would strongly recommend diligently keeping a Time Machine backup or two if you're doing Fusion.

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I guess the real question should be why not just enable it right? Does enable trim in any fashion do any harm?

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I turned Trim on on my homemade Fusion Drive too via the Trim Enabler. I'm running a 180GB Intel 330 SSD with the stock 500GB HDD. I haven't had any problems or performance issues, and I've been running it this way since December.

(It's a separate issue, but I have a Time Machine backup plus two rotating clones of both my Fusion Drive and my primary external HDD. I would do that regardless of the makeup of my boot drive.)

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Next questions is can I do bootcamp and how will it look like when choosing a drive. Will it show only one drive or 2?

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
Im using an intel 330 120Gb with the factory 500Gb in my 2012 i5 mini and haven't enabled trim. Did a bit of reading and it seems it won't make any difference with my setup. I'm still looking around so may enable it sometime to see if it makes any difference.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I've enabled trim. Seems fine.

Can anyone with a factory OEM fusion check system information to see if trim is enabled on the factory 128 SSD? I am sure it would be but just wondering.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
But is it any different? .

Good question. I have never been able to tell. I ran the fusion without trim for a month or so, then used trim enabler and have run it for about 2 months with trim. its hard to tell. either way the SSD seems to read and write similar speeds. I think the difference is more behind the scenes and is not perceptible to the average person like me.

On your point about 'trim support yes' being enable or just capable, I think the SSD also needs to support trim for it to actually work as well. I believe most SSDs do but not all. Some techy may be able to shed light on that.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I've enabled trim. Seems fine.

Can anyone with a factory OEM fusion check system information to see if trim is enabled on the factory 128 SSD? I am sure it would be but just wondering.

Yes, Trim is enabled on the Apple supplied SSD that's used for the Fusion drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.