if I sign up with o2 now with my iPhone....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arcsbite, Jul 6, 2008.

1. arcsbite Guest

I have an unactivated 1st Gen in front of me.

If I go through iTunes and activate it, sorting out the contract side of things, can I upgrade on the 11th to the new one?

I've looked into the 3G contract and the PAYT option extensively but never the idea of upgrading from a 1st gen....especially if it's only for 5 day

*confused*

2. ajthomason macrumors 6502

If you're planning on upgrading it to the 3G, wouldn't it be more sensible to hold off for a few days and then sell the first gen as new?

You can upgrade, but it would be a lot of hassle for just a few days of use.

3. arcsbite thread starter Guest

it would, and I don't plan on using the 1st gen.
    I am simply trying to avoid doing the credit check at the store (I have virtually no credit, I don't even own a credit card) and I thought this might be a way of getting a yes or no today.
    with all the talk of delayed payt phones I'd be devastated to get to the store at8am to find I have to leave empty handed.

4. ajthomason macrumors 6502

ah, I see... You should be able to go to any O2 store and get a credit check done now, without signing up with your iPhone. Just pop in with the info, tell them that you want to buy an iPhone 3G and ask if they can do a credit check there and then to save you waiting on the day.

5. adom macrumors 6502

I doubt you'll be able to upgrade, don't you have to have a minimum term on an O2 contract before you can upgrade?

6. arcsbite thread starter Guest

usually yes. but looking at http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paymonthly

it says "To thank you for being an iPhone fan, we're offering you an early upgrade to the brand new version when it launches on 11th July 2008. You won't have to wait until the end of your existing contract either, all you'll need to do is agree to a new 18-month minimum term contract."