If I sold my iPhone 3G on eBay.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snook911, Jul 21, 2008.

1. snook911 macrumors 6502a

could I then go buy a new one for $399 (8GB) and pocket the differance?:confused:

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

If you "lie" and say you "lost" the phone, then you get the non-subsidized, price ($399/$499).

That happend to me once year and years ago, my datacard and my laptop were stolen. I could get the replacement at the non-subsidized cost, and the contract keeps going.

The only thing is that if you say it was "stolen", they want a copy of the Police Report.

I doubt AT&T will keep doing this for the same person over and over... :eek:

3. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Yes you can buy one at the no-commitment price of 599 for the 8GB and 699 for the 16GB. Won't be too much of a profit, but you do what you want. Wait and see if they find a way to do a software unlock and then sell it... that's what I'd do. You prob know that unlocked phones go for wayyyyy more on eBay.

I wouldn't go the way of gkarris cause there's kind of a law against filing a false police report...

4. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think the price would be $399/$499 because I am would be signing another two year commitment. The non commitment price would be for people who bought the phone with no contract. Please correct me if I am wrong.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The replacement cost should be $399/$499 for replacement phones on a current contract.

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

If you bought a hamburger and ate it you could call it lunch.

If you sold your iPhone on eBay and bought a replacement one might be inclined to call that dumb.

7. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why dumb? 3G 8GB phones are selling from $700 to $1000 on ebay. I could sell my Iphone 3G on eBay go and buy a new 16GB 3G for $500 and still turn a profit. You think thats dumb?:confused:

8. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

9. trefaie macrumors newbie

for the amount of time and effort it will take you to get tops 200bux, you could have found a job....ridiculous

10. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a good job. It's more like making $300 to $400 on top of having your iphone 3G paid for for what seems to me to be very little effort. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think so.

11. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Shipping costs (if not included in price)
    ebay service fees
    paypal credit card fees
    being out an iphone for a while until AT&T fulfills your DF order
    the original cost of the first iphone

12. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

...not to mention the dishonesty involved in the proposed scheme!

13. Bambeezer macrumors regular

Is it an easy process to activate an iPhone 3G with ATT if you didn't get a contract with the phone? Just thinking what the process would be if I bought one of these 3G phones that isn't on a contract.

14. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Explain to me how this would involve any dishonesty?

15. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you ubersalad. I am begining to think that this site is made up of a bunch of boyscouts.:D

16. Bambeezer macrumors regular

I re-read your posts, and nothing you mention is dishonest. You never say that you are reporting it stolen, lost, or vaporized. I think people are just reading too much into your intentions.

I'm interested because I'd like my girlfriend to get me one that I can plug my work SIM into. :D

17. IP3G macrumors newbie

Answer this ...

Most these people on EBAY had to activate the phone at purchase so what happens from there when you recieve one thats been activated with some other persons info?

18. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Even though its not on contract I think it would still be locked to att&t so you would have to unlock it so that you could use it with other networks.

19. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Memory wipe the phone before hand, and don't include your SIM card (AT&T will give him/her a new one)

20. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Let's look at this in a similar scenario and substitute iPhone with a Nokia 3310.

Your plan is eligible for an phone upgrade, but you don't really need a new phone. However, the reason why upgrade eligibility exists is so that phone carrier can retain you as a customer. You decide to invoke that eligibility and get the new Nokia 3310 and sell the old phone.

Oh wait, why must you sell the old one, what's the difference between selling the old one and the new one? Either way you are selling a subsidized phone through your plan.

Now plug iPhone back in the equation =).

21. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Only problem with your scenario is that no one who currently owns an iPhone 3G would be eligible for the upgrade yet. In your scenario, the owner would have "paid off" his previous subsidy.

For the record, I'm not in the "selling your iphone is wrong" camp (neither is the guy you are quoting, so quit picking fights).

22. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Who says you can't still use your old phone and upgrade to 3G and sell that?

And oh ya, you must have missed the post where the guy said...

23. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Ok, re-read your argument. I got it now. :)

EDIT: But, to be fair, doesn't make the most financial sense. As if something bad happens to your old phone you will have wasted your upgrade (and, unless we are still dealing with the iPhone in the scenario, the profit is likely less lucrative).

Nope. I saw that one. You just quoted this guy, who clearly wasn't arguing with you.

24. cwosigns macrumors 65816

cwosigns

On most other respectable forums, posts like this get deleted. Does no one remember the debacle at Howard Forums when MobiTV tried to shut them down alleging that HoFo was encouraging people to rip them off?

25. ALittleDrive macrumors regular

Wait!

First off, I don't think it's dishonest or a scheme! It's taking advantage of a marketplace that is out-of-whack, due mostly to the policies of these companies.

Second, would one have to lie, could one go into an AT&T store and tell the rep that they sold the iphone and need a new one? They probably wouldn't tell you "no," or would they?

That being said, it is a little shady, though not dishonest, and I wouldn't do it. But, as far as money making schemes, this could be one of the less shady ones.

Third, whatever.:D