Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadow Zujed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Alright, I got my new MacBook Pro yesterday. Everything I have is on my old PC. If I sync my iPhone with my empty MacBook Pro, will everything on my iPhone be put onto the MacBook, or will it lose everything on it and be empty because there is nothing on it?

I'm trying to figure out if the iPhone syncs to the computer or if the computer syncs to the iPhone.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Phone syncs to computer. It'll make a backup of your phone first but since there's nothing on your MBP now, nothing will transfer. So the info on your phone won't get transferred to you MBP.

mitchtheriault

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
yeah, all your media will replaced with the media on your MacBook Pro. I was in the same boat when i got my MacBook, there's programs available that can rip all of the music and video from your iPod/iPhone, and copy it into you're new iTunes library. Alternatively, you can use Home Sharing to copy all your music from your old iTunes to your new one.

Shadow Zujed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
yeah, all your media will replaced with the media on your MacBook Pro. I was in the same boat when i got my MacBook, there's programs available that can rip all of the music and video from your iPod/iPhone, and copy it into you're new iTunes library. Alternatively, you can use Home Sharing to copy all your music from your old iTunes to your new one.

Alright I tried home sharing, but it looks like all that was transferred was some of the music and videos, but non of my apps were carried over.

Is there an easy way to just move it all over from the PC to the Macbook?

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Alright I tried home sharing, but it looks like all that was transferred was some of the music and videos, but non of my apps were carried over.

When I went from my PC to my MBP back in June I just rebuilt my iTunes library from scratch. Sure it was a pain in the ass, but I like to keep my music organized a certain way and the methods used to make the switch automated didn't work for me.

In the end it only took a couple of hours to pick and choose what music made it into the iTunes library.

huskerchad

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I believe you can get apps (and all purchases?) off the phone without even syncing. Connect it to the new computer, choose NOT to blow it to hell (or however that dialog reads), and then transfer purchases once it is recognized.

iBryton

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010

What you are going to do is plug it in to your MacBook Pro with everything you want. Right-Click your phone and click on "Transfer Purchases". After that, all of your content on the phone is in the computer (double check everything). After that, you can create your new playlists and sync your phone.

Shadow Zujed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
What you are going to do is plug it in to your MacBook Pro with everything you want. Right-Click your phone and click on "Transfer Purchases". After that, all of your content on the phone is in the computer (double check everything). After that, you can create your new playlists and sync your phone.

Does this work guys? This is all I want to do.

I did everything in rkenyon's link, but I don't get how to send it to the Mac. I have don't have an external hard drive? How do I send them over the network, or connect them?

Sorry for all the dumb questions.

garminaddict

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
That will work if all your content was purchased from iTunes. (Music, apps, etc.)

But if you copied any music from say a CD or downloaded MP3s from Amazon or a less legal alternative, those will not transfer.

Shadow Zujed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Alright, I ended up just synching my iPhone to my PC to make sure everything on my iTunes account was synched to the iPhone. Then I just transferred the stuff on the iPhone to the Mac.

Now all that is left is to de authorize the PC before I wipe it.

Thanks for all the help to everyone that posted!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.