Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Let's say I unlock before buying AppleCare. Will they cover me?

Let's say I unlock it after buying AppleCare. Will I still have coverage?

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
You're not altering the phone, hardware OR software when you unlock it. You're just freeing it up from your carrier's specific, network-imposed use limitations.
When AT&T or Verizon unlock your phone, it doesn't impact your warranty. This doesn't either. It's the same process.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
You're not altering the phone, hardware OR software when you unlock it. You're just freeing it up from your carrier's specific, network-imposed use limitations.
When AT&T or Verizon unlock your phone, it doesn't impact your warranty. This doesn't either. It's the same process.

Ok if you are sure

bamafever09

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
Hoover/Tuscaloosa Alabama
I also have my 4s and now 5 unlocked. I would also like to know what happens if I have to get a replacement. Do I get a unlocked phone, or one that's locked? Honestly not a big deal either way, but I'm curious.

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
If the IMEI is the same, it will be unlocked. You can just tell them, "It was unlocked by the carrier, will the new one be unlocked?" If not, buy the $8 unlock code on eBay again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.