If I update to GM now, will it update OTA later?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by vladobizik, Sep 16, 2012.

1. vladobizik macrumors 6502

I'm not usually this kind of noobish, but this is the first time I was tempted to install a GM build of software through unofficial means ahead of its public release. I know a GM is bit-by-bit the same final OS that will be released to the public, but does the device "know" in some way that this was not from the official public source and perhaps treats the install differently? Can an OTA update be unavailable to me when an update is released at a later point, perhaps? :eek: Or is it absolutely certain my build will be treated exactly the same as if it was installed on the 19th? Thanks for your help and I hope my next questions will be less annoying. :eek:

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

3. TriforceofTime macrumors newbie

From what I've read, typically the GM will be treated as if you installed it on it's official launch date because the GM is typically the version that will be released to the public. The next update would be 6.0.1 or 6.1 or whatever Apple decides to make it.

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

The GM is (unless there is a show stopping bug) the exact same build as the one distributed to the public and will get updated the same way.

5. vladobizik thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much, all of you, for putting my mind to rest. :)

6. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

Additionally, if your a developer, the current release notes on the GM build say you will be able to upgrade to any future GM builds or general release software.

7. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I put the GM on my iPhone 4, and theres nothing special. Just maps, everything else just seems like tweaks and UI changes

8. touchu4g macrumors member

So if I update my iPod touch to ios 6 GM. Will I be able to OTA update to official frimwares like 6.0.1 or 6.1? Or will I be able to update to developer betas?

9. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

The GM is the same thing as what will be released this week. It is the same build and everything.