If i update to iOS 5 will i lose Original Unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by inflame, Dec 12, 2011.

1. inflame, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

inflame macrumors newbie

Hello, when i bought my iPhone i paid the full price so the carrier unlocked it. Then later i jailbroke it on 4.3.3 with Jailbreakme 3.0 and it remained unlocked.

If i update to iOS 5 i know i lose the jailbreak, but will i lose my SIM unlock that the carrier did? In case it remains unlocked can i JB it again and it remains unlocked? I'm sorry i'm pretty new to this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT For those using Google if they come here: iPhone is unlocked, and you receive an iTunes warning message saying it was unlocked.

2. DangerPanda macrumors member

3. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

If it's Factory unlocked, doesn't matter, you're always unlocked independent of jailbreak or not

4. inflame thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks =)

Well not factory, like i said when i bought i paid the full price so the carrier unlocked it, but i had to wait for the carrier to unlock, so i had to wait, too like 5 mins anyway, still it wasn't unlocked by default but was unlocked by the carrier/apple legally.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That is exactly what "factory Unlock" mean, I know it is confusing since it is not really the "factory" which unlock it and it is the carrier, but your phone is Factory unlocked, no worries while jailbreaking, you will always remain unlocked

6. inflame thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks for the clarification and time. =)

But i'm not sure if i'll update now or when the untethered JB is out. Either way i'll post here the results and hopefully this helps people using Google later.

7. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Normally when the untethered comes out, you would only need to re-run redsn0w, but nobody knows in the end. I can tell you it's pretty stable, didn't had any problem so far and being tethered is not that bad...

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Hmm..

If you bought it unsubsidized, and the carrier unlocked it, if you upgraded, the carrier can or should be able to unlock it again for you. That would be their obligation since you bought it unsubsidized.

BL.

9. inflame thread starter macrumors newbie

Does that mean it will lock and i have to ask them again to unlock? I haven't updated yet because i'm waiting for the untethered 5.0.1

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

one more time friend, you don't have to worry about your unlock, once you restore (with anything, custom IPSW, Apple one, anything) and iTune activate your phone, it will be unlock... you don't even have to think about it

11. inflame thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so i updated yesterday at night, iPhone was unlocked once i plugged it to iTunes, or at least i think it happened there because i received a message saying so after the update and once i plugged it to iTunes.

I've used AppBackup and iBye to backup my stuff, then i backed up locally (inside iPhone) and then copied the backed up the files to my PC, AppBackup and iBye Backup Files Location:

AppBackup
    Code:
    var\mobile\Library\Preferences\AppBackup
    iBye
    Code:
    var\mobile\Library\Preferences\iBM-Backup
    Then i backed up those folders, however it seems iBye didn't restore the backup of Cydia apps, fortunately i know a bit of computers, and opened the file CydiaData.tar with WinRAR, inside the folder Cydia there's a file called CydiaPackage.txt, this file contains the name of all installed Cydia apps when the backup for Cydia was made, drag this file to Notepad, but i recommend using Notepad++ so the text is aligned and is much easier to identify the apps.

Now i'd like to thank all of those who helped me with this question about Updating iOS and Phone unlock, thanks again and happy 2012. =)