If I upgrade from 5.0.1 to 5.1 will it remove my jailbreak without causing problems?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rcasey524, May 6, 2012.

1. rcasey524 macrumors newbie

I want to remove my jailbreak because I have to bring my iPhone 4s back to apple. If I upgrade from 5.0.1 via iTunes to version 5.1 will it completely remove my jail break but keep everything on my phone like pics, contacts, apps (non jailbroken related), etc.

Thanks I just have to birng my phone back to apple asap

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, just restore using iTunes and setup as new.
    This way you hand it in without any of your info on it.

3. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

That will wipe all his data. He wanted to keep the data on the phone.

Upgrading SHOULDN'T cause you to lose any data, but just in case it happens, make sure that you make a backup before upgrading to 5.1. Normally, it will just upgrade the OS, leaving all of your pics, apps, whatever on the phone, but ridding the iPhone of all jailbroken software and returning it to normal functionality.

Are you bringing it back to Apple for repair or returning it to get your money back or something? If it's the latter, Restore the phone as Applejuiced suggested.

4. rcasey524 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot, is my automatic iCloud back up the one to use as a back up?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Using iTunes' upgrade button to upgrade from one major iOS version to another such as 3.1.3 to 4.0 or 4.3.5 to 5.0 will make iTunes backup the device, restore to the new firmware version, and restore from the backup. There is no way to upgrade to a major iOS firmware without having to restore the device.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Chances are if he brings it to Apple with a malfunction they will just replace it.
    So I wouldn't bring it in with all my info.